Now you can install the popular custom firmware, Chameleon on Android 4.2.2 jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. During this guide, you can choose between the official custom ROM or the Chameleon OS ROM nightlies. Both options will work following this guide; it’s just a case of which one you want to install.
This very same Rom is available for a whole selection of devices and a different range of firmware digits, so we have done some research to find out exactly what we can expect to be getting in this very version. Many people pronounce this one with a silent H and say the C as if it were a K.
Now when we talk about the 4.2.2 official OS all everyone ever talked about was how smooth and fast it was. For that reason, it was important that the developers made this one quick so that it had no lag. For the most part, they did that successfully, but if we were brutally honest, it’s touch and go around the notifications sometimes. Many people would naturally dismiss this as maybe an issue with their internet connection and not the Rom itself because these notes, of course, need the internet for views and to come through. However, it’s our opinion after using it in a connection that we use every day that this is a small gray area that could have been better. None-the-less, that’s just one small part of what seems a great Rom on many other levels, including speed in all other places that would rival the official build from the Android team.
You will have your own file manager inside this build. If you are familiar with CM10 then the crew has taken that same manager and plopped it into this one. Music lovers will also be interested in checking out Apollo music that is Chameleon’s own music service which you will see in a new application that automatically gets put on your screen after the installation.
The Galaxy S2 will be plugged into the Windows-based computer when you are using ODIN. There is no reason to have a lot of battery charge left before starting for this reason. You should finish the guide with more battery power than when you started.
If you are only trying to update manually because you don’t think it has arrived OTA for you yet, then head over to Settings > About Phone > Software Update and double check before you start. Sometimes it can be there, and you didn’t realize. If it is there, simply confirm the automatic installation instead! It will be the official software though and not custom. Following the steps here is the only way to get the custom experience.
Sometimes the USB charging feature does not work, so we want to make sure we have enough battery power to see out the entire guide without it shutting the smartphone off. Make sure you have saved up at least 60% battery charge before continuing.
The Samsung Galaxy USB drivers must be downloaded if you don’t already have them.
The USB debugging mode will also need to be enabled. To do this go to Settings > About Phone > Tap build number 7 times until the develop option appears.
How To Install Chameleon OS 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM On The Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
1. Download the Chameleon OS Nightly Build ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100
2. The other one is Chameleon OS Build For Galaxy S2 I9100.
3. Also get the Google Gapps package.
4. Connect the device to a Windows PC with a USB cable.
5. Copy the file from step 1 to the phones SD card. Don’t extract the file yet.
6. Unplug the device from the PC now and power it down.
7. Boot the device back up in recovery mode.
8. Do all the usual wiping of data and caches.
– Wipe data/factory reset
– Wipe Dalvik Cache
– Wipe cache partition
9. From inside recovery choose the install zip from SD card option. Grab the file that you chose to install from step 3. Use the power button to confirm your choice.
Repeat the process for the Google Gapps pack.
10. Select reboot system now from the main screen.
11. Remember to always right-click the USB symbol in the Windows taskbar and click on the green arrow that says ‘safely remove hardware’ when you hover the cursor over it. Now right-click > select the gray area >USB Mass Storage Device > stop button > select the flash drive in the ‘stop a hardware device’ section and click OK. It will now say ‘safe to remove hardware’ in a bubble that’s popped up on the taskbar.
One of the best things you will get out of this custom Rom is the battery life. It is amazing how much life there is extra in the bank when compared to what it was like normally. If you are any doubts about other things, this aspect far outweighs any negatives, and you’ll find that naturally the two go hand in hand. For example, where there may be less performance that gives us better battery, so we never lose out too much. Don’t be surprised if you can get the power to last for 24 hours with the phone being used for a big chunk of that time.