The Xiaomi Mi Max boasts a large screen sized at 6.4″ inch and so it is one of those Android phones that we call phablets. With the size almost same to the scale of a tablet, the phone is quite difficult to use with one-hand. Unless you have huge hands, you get issues using this phone one-handed. However, you can use another hand to support it.
The phone is ideal for those of you who love watching videos on the go. With its high screen, you can watch your favorite videos in crystal clear quality, and the games should also run fine on the phone. When you hear that a phone offers a large screen and is good for video watching, one thing that comes to your mind is the battery life. You do not need to worry about that as the phone offers a long-lasting battery life so you can watch your videos without interruptions.
While the Xiaomi Mi Max has all the things you need for your daily tasks, you can still add a lot of new features to it by rooting it. When you root your phone, you allow yourself to install root-requiring apps, flash a custom ROM, and uninstall the stock apps that you don’t use. Gaining root on said phone is not a daunting task, and before you do that, you need a custom recovery.
The following guide shows how you can install a custom recovery on your Xiaomi Mi Max so that you can then root your phone:
Files You Need
- The bootloader on your phone must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial. You can use the Xiaomi’s official bootloader unlock method in this post to unlock the bootloader on your Mi Max. Once that is done, return here and continue.
- This tutorial has been written keeping the Windows version of Fastboot in mind. If you use Mac or Linux, you will need to install either this or this on your machine before you can do this tutorial.
- You should have ADB USB drivers installed on your Windows computer. Install them if they are not already installed.
- The tutorial should install a custom recovery called TWRP on your phone.
- Download Fastboot and save it to your computer. You will use it to execute commands on your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery and save it to your computer. It is the custom recovery image that will be installed on your phone.
- You must only do this on a Xiaomi Mi Max or you will end up bricking your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Xiaomi Mi Max
- Unzip files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer. It has just unlocked the developer menu for you.
- Head to the unlocked menu at Menu->Settings->Developer options and enable USB debugging.
- With USB debugging enabled, plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window in the Fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down Shift on your keyboard, right-clicking anywhere on the screen, and selecting Open command window here.
- When a new command prompt window opens, type in the following command and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Next up, type in the following command into the command prompt window and hit Enter. Make sure to replace twrp.img with the actual name of the TWRP Recovery image you have downloaded to your computer:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Wait for it to flash TWRP Recovery on your phone. It should not take too long to do that.
- When it’s done flashing TWRP, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot normally.
- You are done.
TWRP custom recovery was successfully installed on your Xiaomi Mi Max, and you can now follow our how to root the Xiaomi Mi Max tutorial to root your phone. Rooting the Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone means you can install more apps and also use the root access to help you install any custom ROMs that require a rooted Android operating system before the installation of the ROM. That is not always the case with custom ROM, but it often is a requirement to have the OS rooted first. Moreover, anyone looking to install applications like Tasker, which can help you add more features to your smartphone needs to root the Mi Max phone before they can do that. Rooting removes the restrictions that are in place by the manufacturer and thus it allows you to start installing the applications that you could not before.