Vodafone subscribers in Greece are beginning to see a new over the air update arrive as a notification to Galaxy S5 G900F smartphones, namely XXU1ANH4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat. We already know the chocolate software update to bring lots of great features including wireless printing, transparent status and navigation bars, color Emoji, full screen album cover art and more. In addition, after people install this file below they will be equipped with more features including a new carrier boot animation and extra applications on top of bug fixes and performance enhancements. It’s a small consolation price for owners who are desperately waiting for Android 4.4.4 Kitkat to come after we witnessed lesser know and older Sammy-based handsets receive it before this years flagship in the S5.
For those of you looking for more details, we know that it comes with the modem G900FXXU1ANG8, CSC G900FVFG1ANH3, PDA G900FXXU1ANH4, Changelist 2089850 and the build date of Wed, 20 Aug 2014 04:49:29 +0000.
- If you own the International model of the S5 you should use the steps we have listed below to install the file manually. You can check the model number of your device by stopping over at Settings > About Phone and look that it says G900F. Those in Greece in will discover this coming OTA, but the others around the rest of the world will not be so lucky. Nonetheless, everybody can install this file by following the steps no matter the location around the world. In addition, you should know that it will work for rooted and non rooted phones. However, if you have a custom ROM installed it will wipe over it and a full factory reset will need to be applied before it starts running. Therefore, you will have to flash another version over the top of the new firmware build here at a later date.
- Backing up is important for everybody and vital for those with a custom recovery image. If already on stock software we do not expect any data loss. However, it is better to back up the phone contacts, market applications, audio files, music files, picture galleries and everything else you have stored away. As previously mentioned, those with custom ROMs or anything else will require a factory reset and therefore everything is wiped. Make sure you backup using titanium or another way of your choice. if running stock software try using Helium for data and syncing contacts and the SMS backup application for storing those text messages you do not want to risk losing.
- You all need to enable USB Debugging Mode from the Developer Options menu. Some owners in the past did not see the menu available from the Settings. Verify that the USB Drivers are up to date or install them again by clicking here. The drivers are vital in guaranteeing a successful connection.
- When we talk about connections in this instance we refer to the smartphone and the computer. Note that you can use a notebook or laptop instead of a computer as long as it has the USB slot for plugging in to. Furthermore we want to run the Windows operating system ranging from Windows XP through to Windows 8. Flashing the files using the Odin tool will not work for any other type of OS, including the likes of Mac OS X from Apple and any Linux-based kernel.
- Anyone can use this guide so long as you follow all the precautionary measures. Do not blame us if you make a mistake and damage the device. follow all instructions at your own peril.
- As you may know, the S5 comes with USB charging as a standard connectivity feature. That means the USB wire will work as a charger when plugged into an electronic device such as a computer like we as doing here today. That means the battery levels before starting are not that important. However, for some people the charging feature will not work. In those cases you want to check the battery icon in the status bar and have at least 50% battery charge before starting the steps. Failing to do so may result in the device turning off before the steps are finished. If that happens, it can lead to requiring a factory reset.
How to update the Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXU1ANH4 official firmware
1. Download the G900FXXU1ANH4 official firmware file here.
2. Download Odin 3.09 here.
– follow the steps to open the app on the desktop and leave it open.
– we come back to it in a minute and want it running when we get there.
3. Boot the mobile into Download Mode.
– hold the Home + Power + Volume Down keys at the same time.
4. Fetch the USB cable.
– look at the phone charger if you cannot locate it.
5. Wait for Odin to give the “added” message and for the ID: COM port to change to yellow.
6. Look for the AP button and upload the 4.4.2 KitKat file.
7. Leave the rest of the settings as default.
8. Do not touch the Auto Reboot or F Reset Time options.
9. Do not check the re-partition box unless using the pit file that we are not covering here.
10. Press the Start button to begin the flashing and wait until the ID: COM port changes a different color.
11. You will see a message on the screen saying it passed.
12. Disconnect the S5 properly by stopping the USB Mass Storage device from the “safely remove hardware’ icon located in the Windows system tray.