Microsoft Windows operating systems introduced user accounts back in the days and it was one of the best thing they could do. Cause back in the days, there was only one computer and so many users. So, it was to create different “cubicles” for people of different tastes to work in the same “office.” This was great in terms of productivity. This legacy continues and even in the Windows 10, with different “user accounts” and other perks that come with them.
Windows is making advancements in terms of its operating system because it now comes from PC, tablets and hybrid laptops. They wanted to compete in the market with Android and iOS. So, they did some heavy adjustments. New customization options and productivity tools really have blurred the lines between a tablet and a PC. It also meant some adjustments at the user end as well.
Adding a new user account in Windows 10
Adding a new user account in the new Windows 10 isn’t really that difficult, if you know where to look. The account can be added/created in the following two ways:
- You can go to the Control Panel and navigate to ‘User Accounts” and select “Add new account”
- YOu can click/tap on the Settings app and then click Account category.
The first option too will direct you to the Accounts category in the Settings app. Once there, you’ll see a list of options on the left hand side. Choose the “Family and Other Users” option and then click/tap on the ‘Add someone else to this PC” (+ symbol). A window will show up for you to write the user name and password for the new account. Click ‘Next” and you are done.
Managing a new user account in Windows 10
- One annoying this is that you can’t manage your already existing accounts from here. The settings for them are somewhere deep down in the Control Panel. Stuff like changing the name/password and deleting an account aren’t readily available. After some serious head banging, we’ve found where the settings lie and how to get access to them:
- In the Task-bar search box, type ‘User Accounts”. This will save you a lot of time. Select the first option. Select “Manage another account” in the control panel. Select the account you want to make changes in. From here, you can change the username/password of your account or even delete it.
- One new thing the Windows 10 has introduced is the assigned access account. This lets you assign access to the Windows Store to one (or more) specific accounts. This is great for parenting if you want to keep and eye on your children as to what they are downloading from the app store. If more than one people use your hybrid laptop/tablet, it also saves up the internal storage by not letting other people download whatever they want from the Store. Only you (or the assigned access account) has this privilege.
- Keep in mind that this only works from apps that are related/downloadable from the Windows app store.
How to access user accounts using Assigned Access in Windows 10
- In the TaskBar search tab, type ‘Assign access”
- Choose the “Choose an account for assigned access” option
- A new pane will show up. Here you can choose the account and assign it access to Windows store app.
- Log out of the assigned access account and log back in to see if the changes have taken place or not.
- If you want to log out from the assigned app, press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
So there you go, We have solved your problem and made your day a little less stressful.