The following guide teaches you how to install a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. More specifically, we are installing the TWRP recovery for you today. Once you have the custom recovery working, you can enter the recovery mode using a simple key command. From there, you can take NANDroid backups and flash custom ROMs. Only a custom recovery lets us install zip files. You cannot load zip files from a stock recovery.
The Files You Need
- Download the TWRP recovery file from this link.
- Download the Odin flashing tool for your computer here.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones from the Samsung page.
- You can only flash these files on your computer and device if you own the Wifi variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Do not follow this guide if you have the Snapdragon LTE variant.
Installing TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Exynos WiFi/WiFi 3G
- Unzip the custom recovery file and the Odin flashing tool so you can use both of the files.
- Double-click and run the Odin tool. leave it open and waiting.
- Hold the Power button on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for around ten seconds until you know it’s completely off.
- Reboot the Note 10.1 holding the Home + Power + Volume Down keys. Release the three keys when you see the warning screen.
- Press the Volume Up button once and it will enter the download mode.
- You are ready to connect it to the computer so grab the USB cable.
- Connect the Note 10.1 to the computer where you have Odin and the TWRP files unzipped already.
- If the drivers are responding, you should see the ID: COM port in Odin change color.
- Now click the PDA/AP button found in Odin and browse the computer for the TWRP recovery file.
- Click the Start button in Odin after you have loaded the TWRP recovery file.
- Wait until the custom recovery is flashed on the Samsung galaxy Note 10.1.
- Odin will give you a pass message on the display when it’s done.
Now you are ready to check out the custom ROMs that are available for your device. Furthermore, you might want to gain root access with SuperSU if you haven’t got it already.
What is more, you may wish to find out how to boot the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 smartphone into the custom recovery mode using the hardware keys and apps from the Google Play Store.