The Huawei Honor 5X has a custom recovery available to install thanks to an XDA senior member. The recovery we are installing on the Honor 5X smartphone is the TWRP Recovery. Team Win’s TWRP Recovery looks to be the best custom recovery heading forward from here on out.
Files You Need
- You must unlock the Huawei Honor 5X bootloader before you can follow this guide.
- Download your custom recovery for the Honor 5X from this page.
- You need to install ADB on your computer to flash your recovery using the command prompt. You can install ADB on Windows, ADB on Mac and ADB on Linux operating systems by using our guides.
- Download the universal ADB Driver by Koushik Dutta for your computer if you are running Windows operating systems.
- You are voiding the warranty of the Honor 5X smartphone by following this guide. You can flash a stock recovery back on the device and it will wipe the custom version and renew your warranty with Huawei.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei Honor 5X
- Install the universal ADB Driver on the computer you are using during the guide if it’s Windows.
- Set up the ADB on your computer.
- Download the TWRP Recovery file and extract the package to the desktop by right-clicking on the file and selecting the “extract here”.
- Drag or copy the custom recovery file over to the same folder as your ADB and leave the folder open.
- Connect the Honor 5X smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the command prompt window from within your ADB directory by holding down the Shift key and right-clicking in the ADB folder where there are no files in the folder.
- Choose to open a new command prompt window here from the menu.
- Type the first commands to boot your Honor 5X smartphone in bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Type the next command to flash your custom recovery on the 5X device:
fastboot flash recovery twrp_kiwi.img
- Type the last command to reboot your 5X device:
Now you can learn how to root the Huawei Honor 5X smartphone. The rooting part is only available once you have used for the guide above for installing the TWRP Recovery on the smartphone. Those of you wanting to root some time in the future can use a different recovery like the Cyanogen recovery when it becomes available and still follow our guide for the rooting.
Those not wanting to root and just wanting to enter the Recovery Mode now can do so by following our guide on how to enter Recovery Mode on the Huawei Honor 5X smartphone.
Take Into Account:
Team Win often release several TWRP Recovery files for a particular device. They always recommend installing the latest version of TWRP available to avoid compatibility issues. If you have updated the firmware on the device recently and the most recent version of TWRP is not working, then try downgrading the firmware and trying again.
Some custom ROMs that are newer might not be compatible with older versions of TWRP Recovery. You can fix that issue by updating to the latest version of TWRP also.
You can visit the official Team Win Recovery Project home page and scroll down the list to find your device to get the most recent version if the version available in this guide is not working for your device.