Installing a custom recovery on the Huawei Mate 8 is made easy thanks to the fact that we have already managed to unlock the bootloader. Once you have a custom recovery installed on the Mate 8 smartphone you can flash the SuperSU to get access to the root file system you have wanted so you can start installing your root-requiring apps like Greenify. Furthermore, those not interested in root access can still make use of the custom recovery before taking a complete backup using the NANDroid backup feature — the only way to take a full backup without using adb commends from a command line.
Files You Need
- You must unlock the Huawei Mate 8 bootloader before you can follow this guide to install a new recovery.
- Download the TWRP recovery you need for the Mate 8 device from this page.
- Download the ADB for your computer’s operating system: ADB for Windows, ADB for Mac or ADB for Linux.
- Download the ADB Driver by Koush for your computer if you are running Windows.
- The steps you are reading in this guide are for a Windows operating system since it is the most popular. You can follow this same guide using Linux or Mac, but you’ll need to adjust the steps yourselves.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei Mate 8
- Download the TWRP recovery from the files section above for your Mate 8 device directly to the computer.
- Shift the package over to the desktop. Those of you running Windows will find it ends up in the downloads folder by default. Open the downloads folder and drag the TWRP recovery for the Mate 8 over to the desktop.
- Right-click and extract the package to the desktop.
- Open your ADB folder and drag the TWRP recovery over to the same folder as your ADB.
- From within the same folder, hold down the Shift key and right-click the mouse to open a new command prompt window.You should see the option to open a new command window.
- Boot the Huawei Mate 8 in bootloader mode and then connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- Type the first command in the command line:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Now the custom recovery is installed on your device, it’s time to learn how to root the Huawei Mate 8 smartphone using the SuprSU package.