Maybe you just unlocked the bootloader on your Alcatel One Touch Idol 3? Maybe you wish to install a custom recovery on your phone so that you can enjoy root-access as well as many custom ROMs available out there on your phone? Either way, the guide below should help you.
Installing a custom recovery on the said is as easy as using Fastboot to issue a couple of commands. And, it won’t take too long for you to do that.
So, here’s how you can go about flashing a custom recovery on your Idol 3:
Files You Need
- You must have unlocked the bootloader on your phone before doing this tutorial. Please head to our how to unlock the bootloader on the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 tutorial to learn how you can do that.
- This should flash TWRP Recovery on your phone.
- You need a Windows running computer to do this tutorial.
- Ensure that Alcatel USB drivers are installed on your Windows computer. If they aren’t, install them first.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It’s the custom recovery that’ll be flashed on your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It’s the tool that’ll help you flash the recovery on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3
- Right-click on Fastboot and select Extract here to extract the compressed files.
- Unlock Developer options on your phone by going to Menu->Settings->About phone and tapping on Build number for 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer.
- Go back to Settings and tap on Developer options. Turn on the option that says USB debugging.
- Plug in your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- Open a Command Prompt Window in the Fastboot folder. To do that, hold down Shift on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the CMD window and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into bootloader mode.
- Once in bootloader mode, enter the following command and press Enter:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb flash recovery twrp-188.8.131.52-idol3.img
- It should flash the recovery on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing the recovery, issue the following command to reboot your phone:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb reboot
- Your phone should reboot normally.
- You’re done!
You got it. The TWRP Recovery is now up and running on your Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 and you can now head here to gain root-access on your phone. Cheers!