These are the steps to install a custom recovery on the Amazon Fire HD 6 tablet. The HD 6 and the HD 7 are the same device with a different screen size, so you can follow this same guide if you have the HD 7 variant of the Amazon tablet. The custom recovery we are installing today is the TWRP recovery by Team Win.
The TWRP recovery gives you the buttons on the display instead of forcing you to use the Volume keys and the Power keys to make your selection like a traditional recovery would. Apart from that fact, there isn’t much difference and you should have no problems performing the same jobs with this recovery as you would any other custom recovery. Furthermore, you have all the same features a stock recovery would give.
Files You Need
- Download the TWRP recovery file for the Fire HD 6 from this page.
- Download the Flashify app from the Google Play Store and install it on your Fire HD 6 device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire HD 6
- Download the TWRP recovery image for the HD 6 device directly to the computer and shift it over to the desktop.
- Those of you using a Windows PC will find the file ends up in the Downloads folder by default, so open that same Downloads folder and drag it over to the desktop. Do not unzip the file.
- Connect the Amazon Fire HD 6 device to the computer with the USB cable you would use for charging the battery.
- Copy the TWRP recovery zip file over to the root of the internal storage SD card of your Fire device.
- Unplug the Fire device from the computer and disconnect the USB cable.
- Open the Flashify app you installed on your Amazon Fire HD device earlier.
- Choose the Flash > Zip file and browse for the TWRP zip file you uploaded to your SD card earlier.
- Select the Recovery type from the menu.
- Tap over the ‘Yup’ option to finish flashing that custom recovery on your Amazon Fire HD 6 tablet.
The custom recovery is now installed on your Amazon Fire HD 6 and will remain in the tablet until you choose to flash over it with a stock recovery. You will usually find your stock recovery is automatically flashed when you manually flash the stock Amazon Fire HD 6 stock ROM back on the device.
Moreover, you can choose to boot the Fire HD tablet into the custom recovery mode at any time from this point forth. You can make that happen by using the same hardware key combination you used for the stock recovery. In addition to using the hardware keys, you can download the Quick Boot application from the Google Play Store and boot the recovery mode from the Quick Boot app. Note that the Quick Boot app is only useful for rooted users, so you’ll need to learn how to root the Amazon Hire HD 6 tablet before you can install the Quick Boot app on the device.