If you have rooted your Asus Zenfone 5 but have not installed a custom recovery on it, now is the perfect time to get one on it. Fortunately, TWRP – one of the popular custom recoveries for Android phones is now available for your Asus Zenfone 5 and below is how you can go about installing it on your phone:
Files You Need
- You must have unlocked the bootloader on your phone before doing this tutorial. Also, please go ahead and root your Asus Zenfone 5 and then do this tutorial.
- This will install a custom recovery called TWRP on your phone.
- This tutorial has been written keeping the Windows version of Fastboot in mind. If you are on Linux or Mac, the steps will vary for your systems.
- Ensure that the Universal ADB drivers are installed on your Windows computer.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It will be used to install the recovery on your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It is the recovery that will be installed on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Asus Zenfone 5
- Unzip files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Unlock the developer options menu on your phone by heading to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tapping on Build number for 7-8 times. It will say you are a developer and unlock the menu for you.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options on your phone and turn on USB debugging.
- Once USB debugging is enabled, plug-in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Make sure that both fastboot.exe and TWRP Recovery are in the same folder or the following steps will not work.
- Launch a command prompt window in the fastboot folder by holding down Shift on your keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- When the command prompt window launches, type in the following command and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- When your phone enters the bootloader mode, issue the following command to see if your phone has been recognized by your computer:
- If your phone shows up on the list, you are good to go. Else, check if the drivers are properly installed.
- Now, type in the following command into the command prompt window and press Enter. Make sure to replace twrp.img with the actual recovery image name.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- It should flash the recovery on your phone.
- Wait for it to finish flashing the recovery.
- When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You are all set!
You have successfully installed a custom recovery on your Asus Zenfone 5 and you can reboot into the same using an app like Quick Boot that will easily get you into the recovery mode on your phone.
Well, after root access, a custom recovery is all you needed in order to flash various custom developments on your phone. From a little boot animation to as large as an entire OS, you can flash it all on your phone using this newly installed custom recovery. Also, the recovery offers the backup feature so you are always in safe side even when things are not working well on your phone.
So, go ahead and give custom developments a try to see how they work for you!