One of the benefits of installing a custom recovery on your HTC Desire 300 is that you get to change your current firmware. What it means is that you can jump directly to the latest version of Android using a custom ROM without waiting months for the official update to hit your device.
There are many advantages of having a custom recovery on your device. A custom recovery lets you create full backups of your device which can be restored when your device is unresponsive. There’s a lot you can do with a custom recovery.
If that sounds good to you, here’s how you can install a custom recovery on your shiny new HTC Desire 300:
Files You Need
1. Your bootloader must be unlocked before you can install a custom recovery on your device. The official HTCDev website should help you unlock the bootloader on your device.
2. This should install ClockworkMod Recovery on your device.
3. This only works on a Windows based computer.
4. Download and install HTC USB drivers on your computer, if you don’t already have them.
5. Download Fastboot to your computer. It’ll be used to execute commands on your device.
6. Download CWM Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the HTC Desire 300
1. First of all, extract files from Fastboot and CWM Recovery to your computer by right-clicking on them and selecting Extract here.
2. Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options on your device and turn on USB debugging.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Launch a Command Prompt Window where Fastboot files are located. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Wait for your device to reboot into bootloader mode.
7. Select fastboot using the physical buttons on your device.
8. Now issue the following command using the CMD window. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. Wait for it to flash recovery on your device.
10. When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your device.
11. You’re all done!
CWM recovery was successfully installed on your HTC Desire 300. You’re all set to gain root-access on your Desire 300 to enjoy many of those best root-requiring apps on your device.