Flashing a custom recovery on your HTC Desire 500 is the first step towards customizing your device. That’s where the actual customization of your device starts. From gaining root-access to installing a custom ROM, all these things require your device to have a custom recovery.
TWRP is available for the Desire 500 and here’s how you can install it on your device:
Files You Need
1. Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked. If it isn’t, please head over to the official HTCDev website to get your bootloader unlocked. Once it’s done, come back here and continue.
2. This only works on a Windows based computer.
3. Ensure that you have HTC USB drivers installed on your computer.
4. Download Fastboot to your computer. It’ll be used to issue commands to your device.
5. Download Unofficial TWRP Recovery Image to your computer. It’s the recovery that’ll be flashed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the HTC Desire 500
1. Right-click on Fastboot and select Extract here to extract the actual usable files.
2. On your device, head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
3. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Open a command prompt window where Fastboot is located. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Your device should reboot into bootloader mode.
7. Select Fastboot using the physical buttons on your device.
8. Now type in the following command into the CMD window and hit Enter. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. Wait for it to flash recovery on your device.
10. When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your device using the following command:
11. You’re done!
Your HTC Desire 500 now has a custom recovery!
You can now follow our how to root the HTC Desire 500 tutorial to gain root-access on your device.