Installing a custom recovery on your HTC One M9 should let you gain root-access that provides far more and better customization options than anything else. One of the famous recoveries – TWRP – is now available for the HTC One M9 and the following tutorial teaches how you can install it on your device.
So, go ahead and get it installed on your phone:
Files You Need
1. The bootloader on your device must be unlocked before you can do the following tutorial. Please refer to our how to unlock the bootloader on the HTC One M9 tutorial to learn how you can unlock your bootloader.
2. Download Minimal ADB Setup to your computer. It should let you issue commands to your device from your computer.
3. Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the HTC One M9
1. Right-click on Minimal ADB Setup and select Extract here to extract the files.
2. Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your device and tap on Build number for about 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer. When it does, head back to Settings and tap on Developer options. Turn ON the USB debugging option.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Open a CMD window where the ADB files are extracted. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click on any blank area on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in the following command into CMD and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Your phone should reboot into bootloader mode.
7. Select fastboot using the physical buttons on your phone.
8. Now, issue the following command using CMD. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the TWRP Recovery Image you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. Wait for it to install the recovery on your device.
10. When the recovery is installed, issue the following command to reboot your device:
11. You’re done.
You’re all set.
The TWRP Recovery was successfully installed on your HTC One M9 and you can get access to the same using the “adb reboot recovery” command.
As you now have a custom recovery up and running on your device, go ahead and follow our how to root the HTC One M9 tutorial to gain root-access on that beast.
Please share this article: