Installing a custom recovery on your Huawei Honor 6 would be your first step towards rooting your phone. It all starts with unlocking the bootloader, installing a custom recovery, and then finally flashing SuperSU to obtain root access on the phone.
The following guide is all about unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery on the Huawei Honor 6. So, if you are ready to do that, this guide is all you need:
Files You Need
- This should erase all the data stored on your phone, so please backup everything that you will need later on.
- You must have a Windows running computer to do this tutorial.
- You should have the ADB drivers installed on your Windows computer. If you have not, install them first using the given link.
- This should also unlock the bootloader on your Huawei Honor 6.
- This should flash a CWM based custom recovery on your phone.
- Download Honor 6 Multi Tool to your computer. It has everything you need to flash a recovery on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei Honor 6
- Extract files from Honor 6 Multi Tool over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Head over to the Huawei Bootloader page and fill-in the given form and submit it to get an unlock code for unlocking the bootloader on your phone. You are required to fill-in the following information:
Serial number: You can find it in Menu->Settings->About phone->Status
IMEI: You can find it by dialling *#06# on your phone
Product ID: You can find it by dialling *#*#1357946#*#* on your phone
- Note down the unlock code that you receive from the Huawei website.
- On your phone, head to Menu->Settings->About phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer. When it does, the developer menu should be unlocked on your phone.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on the USB debugging option.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Your phone should now be in fastboot mode.
- Launch the Honor 6 Multi Tool available on your computer.
- Press 1 on your keyboard and hit Enter. It is for unlocking the bootloader on your phone.
- Paste the unlock code that you received from the Huawei website and hit Enter.
- Wait for it to unlock the bootloader on your phone.
- Once the bootloader is unlocked, head back to the main menu of the tool.
- Press 2 on your keyboard and hit Enter. It is for installing a custom recovery on your phone.
- Press 1 on your keyboard and hit Enter. It should install the ClockworkMod custom recovery on your phone.
- Wait for it to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone.
- Once the recovery has been installed, reboot your phone.
- You are all done!
The CWM Recovery has been successfully installed on your Huawei Honor 6 and you can reboot into the same using the Volume UP and Power key combination. That should directly get you into the recovery mode on your phone. Additionally, you might want to know how to boot the Huawei Honor 6 into the custom recovery mode using apps so you can use the recovery you just installed.
Now that your phone has a custom recovery, follow our how to root the Huawei Honor 6 tutorial to learn how you can root your phone. Without root, you will not be able to access root-requiring apps on your phone, so go ahead and get your phone rooted to be able to run root-requiring apps on it. And what’s more, rooting is much easier than installing a custom recovery.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On The Huawei P8
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei Honor 6
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Sony Tablet S
- How To Root The Sony Tablet S
- How To Root The Sony Xperia V Running On Android 4.3
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.