If you have unlocked the bootloader on your Huawei MediaPad M2, then you are just a single step away from installing a custom recovery on it. TWRP, a popular custom recovery, is now available for the MediaPad M2 and getting it flashed on the tablet requires only a few minutes of your time.
So, if you have got that time, here’s how to get your Huawei MediaPad M2 installed with TWRP Recovery:
Files You Need
- This procedure has been written keeping the Windows version of Fastboot in mind. If you are on Linux or Mac, the steps for issuing commands will slightly vary but you should be able to get the job done.
- The bootloader on your tablet must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial as this tutorial writes data to the internal memory on your tablet and that requires the bootloader to be unlocked. You can follow the steps here to unlock the bootloader on your tablet.
- You should have Huawei USB drivers installed on your Windows computer. Install them if they are not already.
- This should flash the TWRP custom recovery on your tablet.
- Download TWRP Package to your computer.
- You should only try this on a Huawei MediaPad M2 tablet or you will end-up bricking your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei MediaPad M2
- Extract files from TWRP Package over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Unlock the hidden developer menu on your tablet by heading to Menu > Settings > About Tablet and tapping on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer.
- Head to the newly unlocked menu at Menu > Settings > Developer options and turn on USB debugging. That should let your tablet communicate with your computer.
- Plug in your tablet to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window where the TWRP Package files exist. To open the window, open the folder, hold down Shift on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on the screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your tablet should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window and press Enter. It should flash the recovery on your tablet.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Wait for it to flash the recovery on your tablet.
- When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your tablet by issuing the following command:
- Your tablet should reboot normally.
- Launch File Manager on your tablet and head to the internal memory and open the folder TWRP. In there, create a new folder and name it theme.
- Copy ui.zip that you extracted from the TWRP Package over to the newly created theme folder. That should translate the Chinese TWRP recovery that you just installed on your tablet to English.
- You are all set!
TWRP Recovery was successfully installed on your Huawei MediaPad M2 and it was also translated from Chinese to English for those who are not fluent in Chinese.
Now that you have a custom recovery on your tablet, head to our how to root the Huawei MediaPad M2 tutorial to learn how you can root your tablet. Root should give you access to the internals on your tablet and that’s exactly what you need to customize your tablet to a greater extent.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Acer Iconia Tab 8
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The European LG G5 (H850)
- How To Root The Acer Iconia Tab 8
- How To Unroot The Acer Iconia Tab 8
- How To Root The European LG G5 (H850)
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.