One of the things that the Huawei MediaPad X2 users have looked forward to was a custom recovery. While they already had root access on their device, they were really wanting a custom recovery on their device for them to be able to flash a custom ROM.
Fortunately, it did not take too long for a custom recovery to become available for this device, and here goes our guide teaching how you can flash this custom recovery on your version of the MediaPad X2.
The entire procedure only takes a couple of your minutes, and you should be rocking a custom recovery on your device. Here’s how:
Files You Need
- The bootloader on your device must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial. Please head to our how to unlock the bootloader on the Huawei MediaPad X2 tutorial to learn how you can unlock your bootloader.
- This should install a custom recovery called TWRP on your MediaPad X2.
- You must have a Windows running computer to do this tutorial.
- Ensure that proper ADB drivers are installed on your Windows computer.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you execute commands on your device.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei MediaPad X2
- Extract files from Fastboot and TWRP Recovery over to your computer by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
- Turn off your device completely.
- Turn your device back on in fastboot mode so that a custom recovery can be flashed on it. To do that, while your device is turned off, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- The bootloader menu should show up. Select fastboot from the menu.
- Connect your device to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Launch a Command Prompt Window in the folder where you have extracted the fastboot files. To do that, open that folder, hold down Shift on your keyboard, right-click anywhere on the screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter. Your device should show up in the list of connected devices:
- If your device is there on the list, issue the following command to flash TWRP Recovery on your device. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual recovery image name or you will get an error:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Wait for it to flash TWRP on your device. It should not take too long as you are only flashing a custom recovery and not an entire firmware.
- When it’s done flashing TWRP, reboot your device by issuing the following command using Command Prompt.
- Your device should reboot.
- You are done!
Cheers! Your Huawei MediaPad X2 is now rocking one of the finest recoveries — the TWRP Recovery. Now you may read how to boot the Huawei MediaPad X2 into the custom recovery mode using apps from Google Play and the hardware keys.
The recovery should now allow you to flash various custom ROMs, custom kernels, custom zips, and so on, on your device. Not only can you flash new files on your device using this newly installed recovery, but you can also backup the existing files or the entire system image of your device and restore it when you wish. That is like backing up your whole device, and then doing experiments, and if things did not go well, you have the backup to restore on your device.
So, go ahead and get your MediaPad X2 loaded with your favourite custom ROMs. Also, our root guide should help you root your device, so also check it out once.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root The LG Nexus 5 Running Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- How To Root The Android One Devices Running Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Sony Xperia V Running Android 4.3
- How To Root The Sony Xperia V Running On Android 4.3
- How To Root The Sony Tablet S
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.