After rooting your Lenovo S850 and playing around with the root-requiring apps, you might be wondering what else you can do to customize your device. Well, the real fun is here – with a custom recovery.
Root-access alone only permits you to install root-requiring apps whereas a custom recovery allows you to install a completely new version of the OS on your device. These customized versions of the Android OS are called custom ROMs and these can be installed on your device if you have a custom recovery.
Fortunately, the TWRP Recovery is available for the Lenovo S850 and the guide below shows how you can install it on your device. Once installed, you’ll be all set to enjoy many of the custom ROMs available out there for your device!
Files You Need
1. Your phone must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery on it. Please refer to our how to root the Lenovo S850 tutorial to learn how you can root your device.
2. Download TWRP Recovery Image to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be installed on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Lenovo S850
1. Connect your phone to your computer in the data transfer mode using a USB cable.
2. Copy TWRP Recovery Image from your computer over to the root folder on your SD card.
3. When the recovery is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
4. Head over to Google Play and download and install Mobileuncle MTK Tools on your device.
5. Once installed, launch the app from your app drawer.
6. There’s an option in the app that says Recovery update. Tap on it and select the TWRP Recovery Image that you transferred to your device earlier.
7. Wait for the app to install the recovery on your device.
8. When it’s done installing the recovery, reboot your phone.
9. You’re all done!
And you’re now rocking the widely popular TWRP custom recovery on your Lenovo S850 device. The recovery lets you flash new ROMs, backup your old system, wipe data, and so on. Go ahead and enjoy the features it has to offer!