Installing a custom recovery on the LG G Pro 2 is as easy as issuing a couple of commands from the command prompt window. If you are already rooted, you can get yourself a custom recovery by following the following steps.
Once the tutorial’s done, you will have a working custom recovery up and running on your LG G Pro 2 phone. Here’s how:
Files You Need
- Your phone must be rooted before you can flash a custom recovery on it. If you have not rooted your phone yet, do so now using our how to root the LG G Pro 2 tutorial and then come back here and continue.
- This should flash a custom recovery called PhilZ on your LG G Pro 2.
- This tutorial has been written keeping the Windows version of Fastboot in mind.
- You should have Universal ADB drivers installed on your Windows computer.
- Download PhilZ Recovery to your computer.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the recovery on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG G Pro 2
- Extract files from both PhilZ Recovery and Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on each of them one by one and selecting Extract here.
- On your phone, head to Menu->Settings->About phone and tap on Build number until it says you are a developer. When it does, the developer menu should be unlocked on your phone.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on the option that says USB debugging.
- When USB debugging is enabled, plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Copy PhilZ Recovery’s .img file to the folder where fastboot.exe exists.
- Open a command prompt window in the folder where fastboot.exe and adb.exe exist. To do so, open the folder, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on the screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window and hit Enter:
- Your phone should show up in the list.
- Next up, type in the following command and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into bootloader mode.
- Once you are in bootloader mode, issue the following command to ensure your phone has been recognized by your computer:
- You should be able to see your phone showing up in the list.
- Now, issue the following command to flash the recovery on your phone. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded to your computer:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Wait for it to flash a custom recovery on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing a recovery, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You are all set!
Your LG G Pro 2 now rocks a custom recovery called PhilZ that will allow you to customize your phone way beyond the normal limit. That customization options include flashing a custom ROM, flashing a custom kernel, fully backing up the phone system, and so on.
If you ever wanted to do any of the aforementioned tasks, you can now do them as the newly installed recovery is compatible with all of those tasks.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei Honor 3C
- How To Root The Huawei Honor 3C
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On The Huawei Honor 3C
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Xiaomi Mi Note
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Lenovo ZUK Z1
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.