Installing a custom recovery on your LG G3 from T-Mobile has many advantages. One of the biggest advantages is that you get to change the stock ROM on your device once you have installed a custom recovery. The other advantages are you can create full backups of your device, restore those backups, wipe cache, and so on. You get all of these features with a custom recovery.
So without further ado, here’s how you can install TWRP custom recovery on your LG G3 (T-Mobile):
Files You Need
1. Your device must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery on it. You can check out our how to root the T-Mobile LG G3 tutorial to learn how you can root your device.
2. This should install TWRP custom recovery on your device.
3. Download Minimal ADB to your computer. It’ll be used to execute commands on your device.
4. Download TWRP Recovery Image to your computer. It is the custom recovery image that will be installed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG G3 (T-Mobile)
1. Extract files from Minimal ADB to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options on your device and turn on USB debugging.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Copy TWRP Recovery Image from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your device.
5. Launch a Command Prompt Window where the extracted ADB files are located. To do that, simply hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
6. Type in the following commands into the Command Prompt Window. Make sure to replace RECOVERYNAME.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
dd if=/sdcard/RECOVERYNAME.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
7. Wait for it to install recovery on your device.
8. When it’s done installing recovery, reboot your device.
9. You’re all done!
The TWRP custom recovery is all set and running on your LG G3 from T-Mobile. It can be easily accessed using an app called Quick Boot that is available for free on the Google Play Store.