When it comes to Android updates, official updates always take longer than the custom ones. So if you want to enjoy the latest version of Android on your device, you’re better off using a custom ROM.
The question is, though: how do you install a custom ROM on an Android device? Well, a custom recovery makes it possible for you. It lets you do many tasks besides flashing a ROM which include taking full backups of the system, restoring these backups, and so on.
The guide below teaches how you can install a custom recovery on the LG G3 from US Cellular so you can then start using a custom ROM on your device:
Files You Need
1. Your device must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery on it. Please head to our how to root the LG G3 from US Cellular tutorial to learn how you can root your device.
2. This should only work on a Windows based computer.
3. Download Minimal ADB to your computer. It’ll be used to issue commands to your device.
4. Download TWRP Recovery Image for the US990 to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your device.
5. Download and install LG USB drivers on your computer, if you haven’t done so yet.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG G3 US990 (US Cellular)
1. Right-click on Minimal ADB and select Extract here to extract the files.
2. Turn on USB debugging on your phone from Menu->Settings->Developer options->USB debugging.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Copy TWRP Recovery Image from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your device.
5. Launch a Command Prompt Window where ADB files are located. To do so, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
6. Type in the following commands into the Command Prompt Window hitting Enter after each line. Make sure to replace RECOVERY.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
dd if=/sdcard/RECOVERY.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
7. Wait for it to flash recovery on your device.
8. When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your device.
9. You’re done!
Your LG G3 from US Cellular now has a custom recovery that should let you install your favorite custom ROMs on your device. Enjoy!