The following guide installs ClockworkMod recovery on the LG Shine Plus phone. ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) is the original version of custom recovery that gives your device the ability to install zip files from the SD card, using the ROM manager and taking NANDroid backups on the device. A NANDroid backup is the only way to take a complete backup of your system without using the ADB commands.
All Android devices come with a stock recovery environment where you can apply updates from ADB, wipe the data and factory reset and wipe the cache partition. Applying updates can help eliminate bugs, wiping the data is great if you want to sell your phone, but nothing there gives you a custom ROM. Furthermore, the best backup option is available from a custom recovery. Sometimes people install a custom recovery and continue using the Android stock ROM because all they want is to back up with the NANDroid backup feature.
The Files You Need
- Download the ClockworkMod recovery from the Android forums page here.
- Download the Fastboot you need from here.
- Download the Flash image from here.
- You must have a Windows PC to complete this guide. Furthermore, installing a custom recovery on your Android smartphones or tablets does void the OEM warranty. You can get that back again if you unroot the device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG Shine Plus
- Turn on your computer and download all three files from above on that computer.
- By default in Microsoft Windows, they should end up in your Downloads folder.
- Open the Downloads folder and shift all files over to the desktop of the computer.
- Make sure you have the USB Debugging Mode enabled on your smartphone before starting the steps. Do that now by heading over to the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Those using older firmware will find it under Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.
- Connect the LG Shine Plus to the computer using the USB cable.
- Shift the Flash image and the recovery image files over to the internal SD card
- Right-click the mouse over the fastboot file and choose to “extract here” from the menu.
- Open the command prompt window from your Fastboot folder by holding the Shift key and right-clicking where there is no file in the folder. Now choose the “open command window here” from the menu.
- Type your commands one at a time and hitting the Enter key between lines:
cp /sdcard/flash_image /data/local/flash_image
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
/data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-cwm-shineplus-18.104.22.168.img
adb reboot recovery
- Wait for the LG Shine Plus to reboot automatically into the recovery mode.
Sometimes people only want to install the recovery and not boot into the custom recovery. You can come back here and follow the guide on how to boot Android devices into custom recovery mode and get your device in that same recovery mode any time.