While root-access lets you install root-requiring apps on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, a custom recovery should let you install a custom ROM that brings with it a lot of goodies you don’t want to miss out. More often than not, a custom ROM brings new apps, utilities, a better launcher, and much more.
Here’s how you can install a custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime which will then allow you to flash a custom ROM on your device:
Related Reading: The top mistake people make after rooting a Samsung smartphone
Related Reading: The Best Custom ROMs For The Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
Files You Need
1. You must be rooted before you can do the following tutorial. Please refer to our how to root the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime tutorial to learn how you can root your device.
2. This tutorial should install CWM Recovery on your Galaxy Grand Prime.
3. You must be running a Windows PC to do this tutorial.
4. Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your computer. These drivers will help your computer to recognize your device.
5. Download Odin to your computer. You’ll use it to install the recovery on your device.
6. Download CWM Recovery to your computer. It is the recovery that will be installed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
1. Right-click on Odin and select Extract here to extract the files.
2. Double-click on Odin executable and it will launch on your computer.
3. In the Odin, click on PDA and choose CWM Recovery available on your computer
4. Uncheck Repartition if it’s already checkmarked in the tool.
5. You can checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options, though.
6. Turn off your phone.
7. Turn your phone back on in download mode. To do so, hold down Volume DOWN+Home+Power buttons at the same time.
8. Press Volume UP and you should be in download mode.
9. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
10. Click on Start in the Odin and wait for it to install the recovery on your device.
11. When the recovery is installed, your phone should automatically reboot.
12. You’re done.
CWM Recovery has been successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. You can reboot into the newly installed recovery using the Volume UP+Home+Power buttons combination.
Furthermore, those of you who cannot get the hardware key method to work can learn how to boot the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime in custom recovery mode using an application from the Google Play Store.
Please share this article: