TWRP has just made its custom recovery available for the Samsung Galaxy J7 smartphone. As a custom recovery rolls out for the device, a root method just automatically becomes available. When you have a recovery on your device, you only need to flash the SuperSU package and it’ll do the needful to gain root-access on your phone.
So, here’s how to install TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy J7:
Files You Need
- You must have a computer that runs Windows in order to do this tutorial.
- Make sure that Samsung USB drivers are installed on your Windows computer.
- Download Odin to your computer. You’ll use it to flash the recovery on your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. Make sure to download the one that has .tar as its extension. This is what you’re going to flash on your phone in the below guide.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy J7
- Unzip files from Odin to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Launch Odin by double-clicking on its .exe file.
- When Odin launches, click on PDA and select TWRP Recovery .tar available on your computer.
- Make sure that Repartition is unchecked in the Odin.
- You can, however, checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into download mode. It can be done by pressing and holding down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons at the same time.
- Press Volume UP and you should be in download mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- Click on Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing TWRP Recovery on your phone.
- When Odin’s done flashing TWRP, your phone should automatically reboot.
- You’re done!
Great! You now have a working custom recovery up and running on your Samsung Galaxy J7. This is the recovery that will help you root your Galaxy J7 in our next guide so you can then get the root-requiring apps running on your phone.