Once you have gained root access on your Sony Tablet S, the next step is to install a custom recovery on it. Well, you do not have an original custom recovery to be flashed on your device but you do have a bootstrapped one that works under some limitations.
But, at the end of the day, a custom recovery is a custom recovery and it can do wonders for you if you just utilize it properly. You can utilize a custom recovery in many ways: you can flash a custom ROM, flash a custom kernel, backup current system image to restore when things go south, and so on.
If that all works for you and if that is what you wish to have on your Sony Tablet S, the following guide should help you get there. It teaches how you can use an app available on the Google Play store to install a custom recovery on your Sony Tablet S, which then in turn lets you do many things on your device.
Files You Need
- Your device must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery on it. If yours is not rooted, please head to our how to root the Sony Tablet S tutorial to learn how you can root your device. When you are rooted, come back here and continue.
- This should install a bootstrapped custom recovery on your device.
- This custom recovery is based on the original TWRP Recovery.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Sony Tablet S
- On your device, launch Google Play and search for and tap on Boot Menu S. It is a free app on the Google Play store that you need to download and install on your device.
- Wait for the app to be installed on your device.
- When the app is installed, launch it from the main menu of your device.
- When the app opens, tap the button that says Install. It is for installing a custom recovery on your device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for flashing a custom recovery on your Sony Tablet S.
- Once the recovery has been downloaded and installed on your device, reboot your device.
- Now, launch the same Boot Menu S app again and tap the option that says Reboot to reboot into the newly installed custom recovery mode.
- And you are all set!
Cheers! Your Sony Tablet S is now rocking a TWRP based custom recovery that can be booted using two ways: either you can launch the Boot Menu S and tap the Reboot option OR you can turn off your device, hold down both Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds to reboot into the recovery mode. Alternatively, you can boot the Sony Tablet S into the custom recovery mode using apps from the Google Play Store.
Although this custom recovery works just like any other recovery, it is still bootstrapped and has its limitations and you may not get to enjoy all the features that the other recoveries offer. However, that should not stop you from customizing your device because at the end, it all boils down to your customization skills. If you are really good at it, you will definitely make something great out of the limited features available to you.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On The Huawei P8
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei Honor 6
- How To Root The Sony Tablet S
- How To Root The Sony Xperia V Running On Android 4.3
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Sony Xperia V Running Android 4.3
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.