If root-requiring apps alone do not cut it for you, you can have a custom recovery installed on your Wiko Stairway that should let you flash a custom ROM and tons of other goodies on your phone. A custom recovery is the gate that allows for custom developments to creep in your phone.
Here’s how to flash CWM – a custom recovery on your Wiko Stairway:
Files You Need
- You must have rooted your phone before you can install a custom recovery on it. If you are not rooted yet, please root now using our how to root the Wiko Stairway tutorial. Come back here once you are rooted.
- This should install CWM custom recovery on your phone.
- This tutorial uses the Windows version of Fastboot to flash the recovery. If you are on Mac or Linux, you can still do the tutorial but the steps will slightly be different.
- Download CWM Recovery Image to your computer. It is the custom recovery image that will be flashed on your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the recovery on your phone.
- You should have Universal ADB drivers installed on your Windows computer.
- You should only try this on a Wiko Stairway phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Wiko Stairway
- Uncompress files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here. It will get the extraction done for you.
- Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer. It should unlock the developer menu on your phone.
- Head to the newly unlocked menu at Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
- When USB debugging is enabled, plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Copy CWM Recovery Image over to the Fastboot folder.
- Open a command prompt window in the Fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down the Shift button and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- When the command prompt window launches, type in the following command and press Enter:
- Your phone should show up in the list. If it does not, you have driver issues so please correct them.
- Next up, issue the following command using the command prompt window:
adb reboot bootloader
- It should reboot your phone into the bootloader mode.
- When your phone enters the bootloader mode, issue the following command:
- Your phone should show up on the list and if it does, you are good to go.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window replacing cwm.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded to your computer.
fastboot flash recovery cwm.img
- Wait for it to flash CWM Recovery on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing CWM, you need to reboot your phone by issuing the following command from the command prompt window:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You are all done!
CWM custom recovery has been successfully installed on your Wiko Stairway and you can get into the newly installed recovery using a single tap with the Quick Boot app.
CWM offers some of the greatest recovery functions, such as flashing of custom ROMs and custom kernels, backing up the entire phone, and so on. Go ahead and give each of these features a try to see how they work for you!