It’s been a while since Xiaomi launched the Redmi 1S, which is a power-packed Android smartphone. With an Android phone comes the opportunity to customize all aspects of the phone to a greater extent. It stands true for this device as well.
A talented developer has come up with a custom recovery that you can flash on your Xiaomi Redmi 1S and enjoy many of the great custom ROMs available out there on your device. Here’s how you can do that:
Files You Need
1. Download update.zip that contains a custom recovery for your Xiaomi Redmi 1S.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi 1S
1. Make sure you haven’t extracted the update.zip archive. It needs to be flashed without extraction.
2. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
3. Copy update.zip from your computer over to the phone storage on your device.
4. When the file is copied, unplug your phone from your computer.
5. Launch the Updater app from your phone’s app drawer.
6. Select Options followed by Reboot to recovery.
7. Your phone should reboot into the stock recovery mode.
8. Select Apply update system in the recovery menu.
9. Make sure update.zip is selected to be flashed on your device.
10. When the file is flashed, reboot your phone.
11. You’re done.
The Philz Touch Recovery was successfully installed on your Xiaomi Redmi 1S. You can reboot into the same by going to the Updater app and selecting Reboot to recovery. The above procedure doesn’t root your device. You should follow our how to root the Xiaomi Redmi 1S procedure to gain root-access on your device.
The Philz custom recovery available on this guide isn’t the most popular custom recovery image to install over your stock recovery partition. However, it is within the top three. Usually, people install TWRP Recovery, ClcokworkMod Recovery or Philz Touch recovery in that order. The Philz Touch version of custom recovery is the touch version of ClockworkMod, so it’s not that ClcokworkMod is any better, but rather people are just used to the ClockworkMod name more. Many people are still searching for how to install CWM Recovery today when it is, in fact, TWRP that is by far the better custom recovery partition to have running on your device.
Sometimes we don’t have choices with what custom recoveries we install on a particular device though and need to install what is available. That is the case here with the Xiaomi Redmi 1S smartphone. Still, the Philz Touch version has all the same features that you need to take the NANDroid Backups, install a custom ROM or custom kernel and get root access by flashing Chainfire’s SuperSU from the recovery partition.