A working version of the TWRP Recovery is now available for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and getting it up and running on the phone is as easy as using fastboot to issue a couple of commands.
Here’s how you can do that:
Files You Need
- You must have unlocked the bootloader on your phone before you can do this tutorial. If your bootloader is locked, please follow the instructions given here to unlock the bootloader on your phone. When that is done, come back here and continue.
- You should have a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial.
- You should have Universal ADB drivers installed on your Windows computer. Install them if they are not already.
- This should flash a custom recovery called TWRP on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.
- Download TWRP Recovery Image to your computer. It is the recovery image that will be flashed on your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the recovery on your phone.
- You should only try this on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
- Extract files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here. The fastboot files are now available for your use.
- On your phone, head to Menu->Settings->About phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer. You have unlocked the developer options menu on your phone.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options on your phone and turn on USB debugging. It must be enabled in order for the following steps to work.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons simultaneously.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Launch a command prompt window in the fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down Shift on your keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- When the command prompt window launches, type in the following command and hit Enter:
- Ensure that your phone shows up on the list. If it does, you are good to go. If it does not, check the drivers.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window and press Enter. It should flash the recovery on your phone.
fastboot flash recovery TWRP_redminote3_patchedBySebsch1991.img
- Wait for it to flash the recovery on your phone. It should not take too long to do that.
- When it’s done flashing the recovery, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You are all done!
A fully working version of the TWRP Recovery has been installed on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and you can get into this newly installed recovery using the Volume UP and Power buttons combination.
So what’s next after flashing a custom recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3? Well, it is root access that you should get. Our guide on how to root the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 should teach you how you can use this newly installed recovery to gain root access on your phone, which is a cakewalk for you as TWRP’s already working on your phone. So go ahead and get that done as well!
Take Into Account:
Team Win often release several TWRP Recovery files for a particular device. They always recommend installing the latest version of TWRP available to avoid compatibility issues. If you have updated the firmware on the device recently and the most recent version of TWRP is not working, then try downgrading the firmware and trying again.
Some custom ROMs that are newer might not be compatible with older versions of TWRP Recovery. You can fix that issue by updating to the latest version of TWRP also.
You can visit the official Team Win Recovery Project home page and scroll down the list to find your device to get the most recent version if the version available in this guide is not working for your device.