If you are rooted, you should probably go ahead and get a custom recovery installed on your Xiaomi Redmi Note Prime. A custom recovery should offer you features that were not found in the stock one.
Here’s the entire procedure to do so for you:
Files You Need
- You must have rooted your phone before doing this tutorial. If you have not done so yet, please do so now using our how to root the Xiaomi Redmi Note Prime tutorial. When that is done, come back here and continue.
- This should flash TWRP Recovery on your phone Redmi Note Prime.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. Do NOT extract it, leave it in its original .zip format.
- You should only try this on a Xiaomi Redmi Note Prime phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi Note Prime
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a compatible USB cable and make sure your phone can receive files from your computer.
- Rename the TWRP Recovery archive to update.zip by right-clicking on it and selecting Rename.
- Copy this update.zip from your computer over to the internal storage on your phone. Place the file in the root directory.
- When the file is copied, unplug your phone from your computer.
- Head to Menu on your phone and launch the Updater app.
- When the app launches, select the option that says Reboot to Recovery to reboot your phone into the recovery mode.
- Select English as the language when the recovery boots-up.
- Select Install update.zip option in the recovery to install TWRP on your phone.
- Confirm the prompt by tapping Yes.
- It should begin installing TWRP on your phone. Wait for it to do so.
- When it’s done flashing TWRP, hit Back and select Power Off.
- Your phone should reboot normally.
- Now to get into the newly installed recovery, turn off your phone, hold down Volume UP and Power buttons together and you will be in TWRP Recovery mode.
- You are all set!
You have successfully installed and booted into the TWRP custom recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note Prime phone.
As you have booted-up into the newly installed recovery, explore all the features it has to offer. One of the most used feature of TWRP is the Install option that lets you install various custom files on your phone. If you do not already know, these custom files include custom ROMs, custom kernels, custom boot animations, and so on. These are the things that change the functionality and appearance of your phone and help you make your phone truly yours.
While it is very easy to flash a custom file with the Install option in the recovery, it is also very easy to get your phone soft-bricked if an inappropriate file is flashed. To avoid such issues, you are highly recommended to first make a full backup of your phone. That way, all of your stock ROM files will remain safe and in case something went wrong, you would be able to restore the backup to get your phone back on the track. That is called playing safely!