In order to root the ZTE Nubia Z9 Max, you must first have a custom recovery running on your phone. The reason the phone requires you to have a recovery is that it flashes SuperSU from the recovery mode to then gain access to the root. That is how the root method works for this phone.
If you are ready, here’s how to get a custom recovery up and running on your phone. Once that’s done, move on to the root procedure to root your phone.
Here you go:
Files You Need
- You must have a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial.
- Ensure that Universal ADB drivers are already installed on your Windows computer. If they are not, install them first.
- This should install a custom recovery called TWRP on your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It should be flashed on your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the TWRP recovery on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the ZTE Nubia Z9 Max
- First of all, extract files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Unlock the developer options menu on your phone. To do that, head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options on your phone and turn on the USB debugging option.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Copy TWRP Recovery over to the Fastboot folder where fastboot.exe exists.
- Launch a Command Prompt Window in the Fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down Shift on the keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and hit Enter:
- Your device will show up in the window.
- Next up, type in the following command and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Once in the bootloader mode, type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter:
fastboot -i 0x19d2 flash recovery twrp_en_nx510j_v2_dianlujitao.img
- It should flash the TWRP Recovery on your phone.
- Wait for it to flash TWRP on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing TWRP, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot normally.
- You now have a recovery on your phone!
And you are done.
TWRP Recovery has been successfully installed on your ZTE Nubia Z9 Max, and you can now follow our how to root the ZTE Nubia Z9 Max tutorial to learn how you can root and get SuperSU up and running on your phone.
Now that a custom recovery is up and running on your phone, you need root access to be able to enjoy root-requiring apps on your phone. While a custom recovery lets you flash custom ROMs on your phone, root-access helps you provide SuperSU permissions to the root-requiring apps that you install on your phone.
These root-requiring apps require more permissions than the normal apps in order to provide you with more features and greater accessibility to the internals on your phone. So, root is a must if you wish to make your phone truly yours. Our guide should help you get root on your phone; you are not left out, buddy!
Moroever, those wanting to just use the custom recovery for installing a custom ROm or taking a NANDroid backup can learn how to boot into custom recovery mode on the ZTE Nubia Z9 Max smartphone.