Philz recovery is an advanced version of the popular ClockworkMod Recovery and will give you the traditional CWM Recovery but with the touch-based user-interface like you would expect to find with the work from TeamWin Recovery Project.
These are the guidelines to install Philz Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 device with the SM-G7102 model number:
Files You Need
- Download the Philz Recovery for the Grand 2 from this page.
- Download the Odin flashing tool for the Grand 2 from this page.
- You are voiding any warranty agreements you had with Samsung when you replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 device. You can flash the stock ROM for your SM-G7102 model number and it will wipe the custom recovery and replace it with the stock recovery if you ever want the warranty working again. You can find that ROM from the Sam Mobile website.
- Only follow this guide if you have the SM-G7102 variant of the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 smartphone. You can check your Grand 2’s model by pointing to the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
Installing Philz Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Grand 2 so you can connect it to the computer and use the Odin flashing tool.
- Download the Philz Recovery directly to the computer and drag the file over to the desktop from its default downloads location.
- Extract the Philz Recovery to the desktop. Do the same thing with the Odin flashing tool.
- Double-click on the Odin executable file that’s on the desktop and the flashing tool will open.
- Deselect the Auto Reboot box from the Odin user-interface so it is off. Do not make any other changes to the default settings.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 device in download mode and connect it to the computer with the USB cable.
- Wait a few seconds and check your device is connected to the Odin by observing the added message and the ID: COM port light up green. Anyone who does not get the Grand 2 device added will need to install the drivers and try again. It may require you to close down the Odin app and reopen, or reboot the computer completely to get the drivers working.
- Click the AP button of the PDA button and browse the desktop for the Philz Recovery file.
- Click the Start button and wait until Odin gives you the pass message from the message box.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 and press the hardware button combination for recovery mode as soon as it first time boots so you go directly to the new Philz Recovery you just flashed. Failing to boot up in recovery could mean the Philz Recovery is wiped and the stock recovery is back on the device. If that does happen to you, you have to start the guide over.
In conclusion, you should find your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 smartphone with the model number SM-G7102 now has the custom recovery installed. Any device that is not getting the flashing to work should try downloading a different version of the Odin flashing tool. Sometimes it takes a few different tries on different version to get one to flash a custom recovery to your device.