Installing TWRP recovery on a Samsung device is simple thanks to the Odin flashing tool. Once you have the custom recovery installed, you can upload zip files for installing the custom ROMs. Sometimes the zip files are also useful for getting root access by uploading SuperSU, but that depends on your rooting method.
The Files You Need
- Download the custom recovery (TWRP) from this page.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Download the Odin flashing tool for Windows.
- These are the steps to install TWRP recovery on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 with the model number G920V. All of the verizon S6’s come with that same model number.
Installing TWRP recovery on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Model Number G920V
- Download the TWRP recovery and it will end up just above the taskbar on the Windows PC.
- Look at the right side of the file for a small arrow to click.
- Click that arrow and choose the ‘show in folder’ from the new menu.
- Now drag the TWRP recovery over to the desktop.
- Right-click over the TWRP recovery file and select the ‘extract here’ option.
- You should see the TWRP recovery file now on the desktop and not in the zipped folder.
- Follow the same steps only this time for the Odin tool. Finish with it extracted to the desktop also.
- Run the Odin flashing tool by double-clicking over the file.
- Long-press the Samsung Galaxy S6 until it’s powered off.
- Reboot it holding the Home + Power + Volume Down keys until you can see a warning screen on the device.
- Let go of those buttons and now press the Volume Up button.
- Now connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- Click the AP/PDA button in Odin.
- Upload the TWRP recovery file from the desktop.
- Do not adjust any of the Settings in Odin. leave the re-partition box empty.
- Click the Start button and wait for the flashing to finish.
- Odin will give a pass message and automatically reboot the Samsung Galaxy S6 once it’s done.
- Now you can unplug from the computer and enjoy the new custom recovery that’s installed on your device.