So if you’ve read our recent article, you’ll know that an alpha for Xposed for Lollipop was recently released. Xposed allows an individual with a rooted phone to have features commonly found in ROMs on his/her phone without a need to install any ROMs. Now, you’re probably wondering how you can install Xposed Framework on your Android phone running Lollipop. First make sure your phone is an ARMv7+ device by doing a quick Google search. If it is, then you can commence.
Below is a list of essentials we think you should read before starting the guide. Here you will learn everything you need before starting and what to expect.
- You do not lose data just by following the steps. With that being said, it’s a great idea to back up the data before continuing. That way you won’t lose any data if something happens to your device. There’s some confusion which devices the framework does work for. If your device gets stuck at the boot animation screen, or you experience any of the other symptoms, you may need a factory reset. A hard reset will wipe the current data and ROm which means you rely on having the backup to restore later.
- You can download a third-party application from the Google Play store to back up the data. You can also use the built-in backup feature most modern-day smartphones have. Make copies of the phone contacts, pictures, videos files and songs you have stored on the device.
- The new framework only works for ARMv7+ devices.
- Furthermore you must have a custom recovery installed on your Android OS. Having root access alone won’t allow the installation to work.
- Turn on the smartphone or tablet and navigate your way to the Settings menu and enable the Unknown Sources option.
- You need a computer to start the guide because you are transferring the files from the desktop of the computer to the Android device.
- Moreover, since we are using a computer you also want to have the USB Debugging Mode enabled. Navigate to the Settings > Developer Options > tick the box for the USB Debugging.
How to install the Xposed framework for Android devices running 5.0.X Lollipop
- Download the following items: XposedInstaller_3.0-alpha1.apk and xposed-arm-20150213.zip.
- Transfer both files to your device through a USB transfer.
- Reboot your device into recovery mode.
- Make a backup of your device, as a precautionary measure.
- Flash the xposed-arm-20150213b.zip file from the install menu.
- Reboot the device once the framework is flashed. This could take a bit of time.
Note: If the boot is taking longer than 15 to 20 minutes, you’re probably in a boot loop.
- Your device should boot to your normal lock screen, not your recovery.
- Utilize whichever file system app you have to find XposedInstaller_3.0-alpha1.apk and install it, as you would install any app.
Remember, this is an alpha build, so there probably will be some issues. Over the next few months these issues will be resolved and you’ll receive updates in the Xposed app with fixes. Now, go explore all the useful modules available for the Xposed Framework and breathe new life into your phone.