If you are rocking a shiny Huawei Y5 and wish to gain root access on it, then you are in luck. Both root access and a custom recovery are now available for the aforesaid phone and getting them installed is as easy as issuing some commands:
Files You Need
- This tutorial has been written keeping the Windows version of Fastboot in mind. If you happen to use Linux or Mac, you can still do this tutorial but the steps will slightly vary.
- You should have Universal ADB drivers installed on your Windows computer.
- This should CWM based custom recovery on your Huawei Y5.
- This should flash the SuperSU to achieve root access on your phone.
- Download CWM based Recovery to your computer. It will be flashed on your phone.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. It will be flashed to gain root on your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It will help you flash the recovery on your phone.
- You should only try this on a Huawei Y5.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei Y5
- Extract files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode so that your computer can recognize it. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- Your phone should reboot into fastboot mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Copy CWM based recovery over to the fastboot folder.
- Open a command prompt window in the fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down Shift on the keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- When the command prompt window launches, type in the following command and hit Enter:
- Make sure your phone shows up on the list. If it does, you are good to go.
- Now, type in the following command into the command prompt window and press Enter:
fastboot erase cache
- It will erase the cache stored on your phone which can cause issues.
- Next up, issue the following command using the command prompt window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Wait for fastboot to flash the recovery on your phone. It should not take too long to do that.
- When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You are done!
Hurray! You have successfully installed a custom recovery on your Huawei Y5 and here’s how you can go about rooting your phone using the newly installed custom recovery:
Rooting the Huawei Y5
- Connect your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable and ensure your phone can receive files from your computer.
- Copy SuperSU .zip from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your phone. Place the file in the root directory so you can easily find it.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into the recovery mode. To do that, hold down Volume UP and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- Your phone should reboot into the recovery mode.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard in the recovery menu.
- Choose SuperSU .zip to be installed on your phone.
- Confirm the prompt by tapping Yes.
- The recovery should start flashing SuperSU on your phone. Wait for it to do so.
- When the recovery’s done flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone by choosing reboot system now from the recovery menu.
- You are now rooted!
Root access has been successfully achieved on your Huawei Y5 and you can now install your favourite root-requiring apps on your phone.