The Samsung Galaxy S5 Active recently found a new version of Android 4.4.4 KitKat available to download and install over the air. So long as you have already preinstalled the firmware, you may now be looking to gain rooting privileges on the same. Below we’ll show you how to do that and more thanks to the Towelroot exploit
The latest firmware build G870AUCU1AOA1 is not Android 5.0 Lollipop, but it does mean users can potentially flash a custom ROM for the device that is based on Lollipop instead. That’s the next best thing to the real build that’s surely coming soon. Check after the jump for everything you need to apply the unlocking of the system internals successfully.
Read through the list of essentials so you understand the risks, the things you need and everything else to apply before starting the guide. Read the computer operating system requirements carefully since you cannot follow the guide using a Mac or Linux machine.
- Applying the steps does not result in data loss, according to the original poster on the XDA Developers forum. With that being said, we do recommend people take a backup of the current ROM and operating system before starting the steps. Sometimes people get stuck at the boot animation screen, and if that happens to you, you might need to push the buttons for a factory reset from recovery mode. A hard reset always wipes the ROM clean and thus you lose any unsaved data.
- Use one of the many third-party applications available from the Google Play Store. Otherwise check the steps for backing up the pictures, phone contacts and other data by using the build-in backup feature Sammy provides.
- You should have a computer for transferring the APK file over to your device. It’s the safest way to transfer. You also need a Windows PC for running the Odin tool. Sammy do not make the Odin application for any other operating system.
- Since we are connecting to the Windows computer, you must have the USB Debugging option enabled from the Developer Options menu. You’ll find that coming from the original Settings menu.
- You will need to pre-install a File Manager of your choice. We prefer to use the ASTRO File manager as it’s one of the most popular on the market. However, any good manager will work.
- Applying the following on your device does void any warranty you have left. Since the S5 Active is only a year old, you all should have some warranty left if you bought the smartphone with a warranty. That’s something to think about before starting the guide.
How to root the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active running Android 4.4.4 KitKat G870AUCU1AOA1 firmware
- Download the Towelroot APK file from here.
- Do not extract the file on the desktop.
- Transfer the file over to the smartphone.
- Unplug the S5 Active from the computer.
- Reboot the phone in Download Mode.
- Install the APK file with your file manager.
- Go back to the app drawer after it’s installed and tap on the Towelroot icon.
- Search for the Make It Ra1n option from inside and confirm the same.
- Completely power down the device after it’s finished rooting.
- Boot it up in Download Mode once more (see the link above for the steps).
- Connect it to the computer.
- Open up Odin 3.09 on the desktop.
- Wait for the Odin slot to turn blue so you know it’s connected.
- Click the AP button and upload the file below.
- Flash the stock kernel from here.
- Now head to the Google Play Store and download the SuperSU application to finish the job.
Please share this article: