The second-generation grand smartphone comes with similar specs, but replaces the first-generation with a larger display, high screen resolution, an impressive battery, around half a Gig more RAM and is Quad core. It’s also a dual SIM phone which is a wise buy for people who travel between countries. That’s especially true for people around Europe and other places because it’s illegal to enter a new country without a dedicated SIM; thus a dual SIM phone is an important feature. It’s not just popular in those parts of the world, though, sometimes people just wish to have two different SIMs for other reasons like its practicality.
- We are using the official Odin application which means you must have a Windows computer. The Sammy developers only make Odin for Windows operating system ranging from Windows XP and up.
- The following guide works on the Grand 2 running 4.3 jelly Bean or 4.4.2 KitKat. We cannot guarantee this guide works on future Android software updates such as the Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- It’s possible Google patch the current exploit we are using here today in Lollipop and that’s why you should possibly search for a fresher guide if you are reading this in the future.
Details We Should Know
- You must have the Samsung Galaxy USB drivers. Download the drivers from the official website where there is a dedicated drivers page.
- Search for the Samsung drivers for mobile phones link from the website. Not all of you need to get them, but if you do get a fail message during the guide it likely means you need the new drivers.
- The following is only designed for the SM-G7102 variant of the grand 2. We do not recommend trying the files on another model number. You can brick the device.
- Apply the guide below does void the warranty. You must flash the official firmware manually to get the warranty working again.
- Enable USB Debugging mode. You’ll find that mode from the Developer options from the Settings.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY GRAND 2 SM-G7102
- Download the Chainfire CF Auto Root tool here.
– extract the package to the desktop.
- Download Odin 3.07 here.
- Extract the Odin file and run the program on the computer.
- Boot the phone in download mode.
– press Volume Down + Power + Home keys.
- Connect the Grand 2 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Odin should say it’s connected.
- Click the AP button or the PDA button from Odin.
- Upload the extracted rooting file from step one which should be on the desktop.
- Click the start button without adjusting any of Odin’s default settings.
That’s it! It will eventually reboot by itself and then you are free to start flashing custom ROMS or installing rooted apps from the Google Play store. Furthermore, you can download the root checker application and verify it’s working.
You can now find out how to install TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 if you want a touch-based custom recovery. Furthermore, you can find out how to install CWM Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 if you want the traditional custom recovery.