The Lenovo A850 is a smartphone with a big display, dual SIM support, fast 4G mobile data support and a quad-core processor. It launched during 2013 after being announced back in August of the same year. The mobile starts with 4.2 Jelly Bean and hasn’t seen much love on the software front since then, making it the ideal candidate to unchain and open up the possibilities to install custom firmware and upgrade it further.
There are people who will finish the guide within a few minutes using the Framaroot tool that involves only one click. However, before we get stuck in the guide I recommend taking the extra time to go over the prerequisites for something to think about. Inside will be great tips on how to avoid trouble, what you may need to complete the guide as well as instructions on how to find them.
- You should know that the new method is made by XDA Developers member alephzain who goes on to post the steps in the thread that we link to so users can download the rooting package. Nonetheless, once you have the file come back here for a more detailed guide that is easier to understand.
- The safest way to use the files is by transferring them from the computer over to the smartphone. People can choose from either the notebook, laptop or full-size desktop PC for the exercise. All it needs is a working USB slot for the connection and it will work.
- While it is true, we connect to the computer to transfer the package, we don’t stay connected for a long time. Therefore, it’s a great idea to not rely on the USB charging feature. Make sure you have at least 40% battery power before starting the steps. The guide is short, so that will be plenty of time to get the job done even if you suffer from draining issues.
- Confirm the USB Debugging Mode is enabled by stopping over at the Developer Options menu. Likewise, have the up to date USB Drivers for a safe and secure connection between devices.
- In the wake of following the steps you will void any remaining manufacturers warranty left on the handset. However, you can get this back by restoring the stock firmware and taking away the root access. That will restore the flash counter back to zero and the manufacturer will not know you unlocked the operating system.
- We give the instructions to the best of our ability, but nothing is a guarantee. Moreover, if something were to go wrong, we are not responsible for any damages or loss of data. The A850 comes with 4 GB of built-in storage space and 32 GB from external SD card options.
- You will need the SD card option for the handset. Buy them online or from your local retailer.
- To make sure you do not lose data use the Titanium app if rooted or the Helium app to store the data and sync market apps. Use SMS backup to make copies of the text messages.
- Enable unknown Sources from the phones settings by navigating to Settings > Security.
How to root Lenovo A850 using the Framaroot package
1. Download the file from this XDA thread here.
2. Do not Extract the file. Save it on the C: Drive or the desktop as long as you know how to find it. Use the desktop if you are a novice user.
3. Find the USB wire.
Check the cable connecting the phone charger if you cannot locate it.
4. Transfer the file to the SD card of the mobile.
5. Disconnect the phone from the computer. C
– click the “safely remove hardware” icon first.
– stop the USB Mass Storage device.
6. Open the File Manager.
7. Press the framaroot APK.
8. Confirm the installation.
9. Launch the app from the App Drawer.
10. Choose install SuperSU followed by “Boromir”.
11. The flashing will commence. Do not touch any keys until it finishes.
You can download and install the Root Checker app available from the Google Play Store to find out if it was successful. If you’re noticing some problems you may need a factory reset. Do note that applying a factory reset will wipe all the data including any custom ROM.
Please share this article: