Moto E 2015 is an upgraded version of Moto E 2012 edition after a huge success of it in India. Moto E has some upgraded hardware in it. Rooting your phone will give you some more options to customize and tweak your phone. Today you will learn a way to root your phone and install TWRP custom recovery on your phone. So grab your tools and get ready to free your phone from android security bars.
Rooting or installing a custom recovery on your phone is an unofficial process which is not recommended by Motorola or Google. As it is an unofficial process so your phone’s warranty will get void after rooting your phone and you can’t claim it back till you unroot it back. Also this process is risky and may brick your phone if not done correctly.
Backup all of your important data from your phone to your PC so if any thing goes wrong during the process then your data should stay safe. Also sync all of your important contacts to your Google account.
You need a windows based PC for this with all the antivirus and security related software disabled during this process. Your phone with USB debugging enabled by going to Settings > Developer Options > check USB debugging and make sure that your hone should have enough battery on it.
What if I can’t see any Developer Options menu? Don’t worry! Just go to Settings . About Device > tap the software or firmware build number seven times and now it’s unlocked and ready to tap from the Settings menu.
You might be interested reading 6 popular things people do after rooting Android smartphones after you complete the guide.
Steps to Root Mote E 2015 without installing custom recovery
- First download and unzip fastboot zip file from here and extract it on your desktop.
- Now download recovery image suitable for your phone model: Surnia (4g model), Otus (3g model).
- Rename the downloaded recovery image to “recovery.img” and move it to the fast boot folder.
- Download the root package and transfer it to your phone.
- Open the fast boot folder and right-click on the blank white space while holding “shift” key and click on “open command windows here”.
- Connect your phone to your PC, make sure that your phone should have USB debugging enabled on it.
- On command window type “fastboot.exe boot recovery.img”, this will reboot your phone to recovery mode.
- When in recovery tap on “install” then choose zip from sd card and flash the root package zip file to your phone.
Now your phones system internals are unchained and no custom recovery was installed.
Steps to root and install TWRP on Moto E 2015
- Follow all the steps up to step 6 as it is from the above method.
- From the command window, type this command: “mfastboot.exe flash recovery.img”, this will flash TWRP Recovery on your phone.
- Now type this command: “mfastboot.exe reboot recovery”, this will reboot your phone to the Recovery mode.
- In Recovery, install the root package zip file by taping on Install > Chose zip from SD > Choose zip file from your phone and confirm to install.
- To reboot your phone to OS mode, tap on “reboot” then “system”.
You can check root access by installing any root checker app from here. You can ask me anything about this by posting it in the comment section below.