It seems as though Ice Cream Sandwich is one of the forgotten versions of Android now that the Lollipop version is doing the rounds on many devices today. The Samsung Captivate started with 2.3 Gingerbread and later was lucky enough to be included in a software update that upgraded the operating system to Ice Cream Sandwich. If you are looking to open up the ports and gain root access for the handset you can do so by following the guide below. Make sure you check out everything you need before starting.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must install the ClockworkMod recovery image on the phone before starting the rooting steps. The reasons being you must boot the device into the recovery mode and install the zip file from inside.
- You must have enough battery power on your device so that it doesn’t shut down during the process. You should reserve at least 60%.
- You must have a computer to follow the guide. The operating system doesn’t matter because you are only transferring the file from the desktop.
- Check your model number matches up with i927 by navigating to the handset Settings menu, followed by About Device. It will list the number here.
HOW TO ROOT THE SAMSUNG CAPTIVATE Glide IN 4.0 ICS
- Download the SuperSU zip file here.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Transfer the zip file (zipped) to the internal storage of the phone.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Turn it back on pressing the Power button and Volume Down.
- Watch as the phone boots into the custom recovery mode.
- Choose the install zip from SD card and choose zip from SD card options.
- Now search for the SuperSU zip file from your internal storage and load the file.
- Tap your way back out to the main recovery menu and choose to reboot the system now.
When the phone reboots it will be rooted and ready for installing a custom ROM or applications from the Google Play store you couldn’t use before.
Please share this article: