By rooting the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini S you are agreeing to open up the system internals to the root file system. Usually Google blocks this access so people can have a safer experience. Linux is open source and the Linux kernel is what Android is based on. By default this has always been an operating system that is far less secure than something coming from Microsoft or Apple. Google then takes away the root access which stops us from having administrator access to the OS and that’s how they make it secure. The problem with that is that they take away our ability to use many apps — and most of the apps we like the most.
Furthermore, we can install the SuperSU app on our devices and that stops any malware or virus from getting on our system. Overall, there is no reason to not root your device if you have installed the SuperSU app. Anyone can install the SuperSU app from the Google Play Store after rooting their devices.
Files You Need
- Download the Towelroot application from its home over at: http://towelroot.com.
- These are the steps to root the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini S without a PC and using the Towelroot application. All you need to do is use the notification shade and download the app using your web browser on the Alcatel smartphone.
Rooting the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini S
- Turn on the Unknown Sources option from your OneTouch Idol 2 settings by pointing to the Menu > Settings > Security > Unknown Sources.
- Open the Google Chrome application and enter the Towelroot URL you can see from the link above to direct you over to the homepage of that app.
- Tap your finger over the Lambda symbol that is on the homepage (that’s the red thing you can see).
- Save the tr.apk file to your Mini S device.
- Swipe down your Mini S notification shade and tap on the Download Complete notification.
- Tap the Install button and swipe down the notification shade again.
- Tap on the Installation complete notification.
- Tap on the Make it Ra1n button.
- Wait for your Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini S device to show you the success message on the display.
- Open the Google Play Store app on your OneTouch Idol, or download it if you don’t have it already.
- Browse for the SuperSU application by Chainfire and install the same app on your device.
- Open the SuperSU app from your Mini S’s app drawer and agree to update the SU binary if you are prompted to do so.
Open the Google Play Store app one last time and install any Root Checker app. Open the app from your app drawer and follow the prompts to check that your device is rooted. You might need to agree to allow the Superuser access; these apps are trusted apps and you should do as they ask to get them working on your device.
You might want to install the Greenify app on your Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini S device if you are looking for ideas on where to start.