In order to root your HTC Butterfly 3, all you need is an unlocked bootloader as a custom recovery and a root method are already available for the phone. Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can then flash a custom recovery and use it to gain root. It is as simple as that.
Files You Need
- The bootloader on your phone must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial. If it is locked, unlock it first.
- This should first boot your phone into TWRP and then flash SuperSU to achieve access to the root.
- This tutorial has been written keeping the Windows version of Fastboot in mind.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the recovery on your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It will be flashed on your phone to gain root.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. It is the actual file that will root your phone.
Rooting the HTC Butterfly 3
- Extract files from both Fastboot and TWRP Recovery over to your computer by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable. Ensure your phone can receive files from your computer.
- Copy SuperSU .zip from your computer over to the internal storage on your phone. Place it on the top so it is easily accessible.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in download mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- Your phone should reboot into download mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Make sure that TWRP recovery and fastboot.exe are in the same folder. If they are not, simply copy TWRP recovery over to the Fastboot folder and you should be all set.
- Open a command prompt window in the fastboot folder. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on the screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window and hit Enter:
- Your phone will show up in the attached devices list.
- Next up, type in the following command and hit Enter:
fastboot flash boot b3twrp.img
- It should flash the custom recovery on your phone’s boot partition.
- When the flashing’s done, type in the following command and press Enter:
- Your phone should now be in TWRP Recovery mode.
- Select Install in the TWRP recovery menu.
- Navigate to your internal storage and select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your phone.
- Select Swipe to Confirm Flash to confirm the prompt.
- Wait for TWRP to install SuperSU on your phone.
- When TWRP’s done installing SuperSU, reboot your phone into download mode.
- Once your phone is in download mode, issue the following command:
fastboot flash boot stockboot.img
- Wait for it to flash the stock boot image on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing, reboot your phone.
- You are all done!
Cheers! Your HTC Butterfly 3 should now be rooted and you can use the Root Checker app to confirm the same on your phone.
Now that you are rooted, hit up the Play Store to install your favourite root-requiring apps on your phone. You should find a number of apps there in the Play Store for your phone that only run on rooted phones and allow broader customization of the phone.