Once you’ve got a custom recovery up and running, gaining root on your HTC One M8 Eye is just a kid’s play. A custom recovery allows you to flash SuperSU package on your phone that roots the phone and installs the SuperSU app for you to manage root-permissions for various apps.
On a rooted phone, you can remove the apps that were unremovable before, install a custom ROM, tweak the settings that weren’t available before, and so on.
So, without further ado, here’s how you can root your HTC One M8 Eye:
Files You Need
- Your phone must have a custom recovery before you can root it. Please follow our how to install a custom recovery on the HTC One M8 Eye tutorial to flash a custom recovery on your phone. When you’re done, come back here and continue.
- This flashes SuperSU on your phone to achieve root access.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. It’s what allows you to root your phone.
Rooting the HTC One M8 Eye
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Copy SuperSU from your computer over to the internal storage on your phone.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Battery and disable Fastboot. If you didn’t do this, you wouldn’t be able to reboot into recovery mode on your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode. To do so, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together on your phone.
- Select Recovery from the options that appear on your screen.
- You should now be in recovery mode on your phone.
- Tap on Install in the recovery menu.
- Select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your phone.
- Tap on Swipe to Confirm Flash to confirm the process.
- Wait for it to flash SuperSU on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone using the Reboot option given in the recovery menu.
- Your phone should reboot.
- You should now be rooted!
And that was it. Your HTC One M8 Eye is now rooted and has a custom recovery to let you install custom ROMs on your phone. Go ahead and enjoy your phone at its fullest!