So you want to root the Huawei Ascend Y220 — have you thought about installing a custom recovery too? If you have and are going to install a new recovery, you will want to install the NANDroid manager application. Like you know, a custom recovery such as Team Win’s TWRP comes complete with the NANDroid options from the menu. Well, root users can install the NANDroid Manager application and ‘manage’ those backups you took. Trust me, if you are taking NANDroid backups on your Ascend Y220, you will want the manager application to go along for the ride.
The NANDroid backup option is incredibly efficient in taking backups of your data, but it takes it all at once. The NANDroid Manager application allows users to only restore partitions of that same data, should you wish to not restore it all at once. For example, you might want to restore the applications you backed up from your NANDroid but nothing else. The NANDroid Manager lets you do that with the tap of a button.
Files You Need
- Download the latest version of the Root Genius application for your Y220 device from here.
- You must have the Huawei Ascend Y220 smartphone to follow this guide. You can check your Ascend’s model number by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number. Any other device might get bricked.
- You are voiding the warranty any time you choose to root the Huawei Ascend Y220 smartphone. You can get the Y220’s warranty working again by successfully unrooting the device.
Rooting the Huawei Ascend Y220
- Start by turning on the USB Debugging Mode for your Ascend Y220 smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Anyone who does not have the Developer Options menu unlocked on the Y220 must do that now by pointing to the Menu > Settings > About Device > Tap the Build Number for the firmware at least 7 times.
- Extract the Root Genius application from the file section above to the desktop of your computer. You can open the default downloads folder and drag it over to the desktop to get that done.
- Run the Root Genius application on the computer by double-clicking over the icon.
- Connect the Huawei Ascend Y220 device to the computer with the USB cable.
- You will see that your Y220 smartphone is detected by the Root Genius app. Wait until it shows you the ‘Root Now’ button.
- Click on the ‘Root Now’ button when you are ready to start the rooting.
- Wait until the progress bar on the display reaches 100% before advancing.
- The Huawei Ascend Y220 device should automatically reboot when the Root Genius application is finished. if that doesn’t happen, reboot your device now before you conclude.
In conclusion, that’s how to root the Huawei Ascend Y220 smartphone using the Root Genius application. You can open your devices app drawer and notice the new KingUser application available. That’s the app that will grant root permissions to the apps that request it, as well as deny any malware from wanting the access. It works the same way your SuperSU app would work.