If you only have a custom recovery and no root access on your Huawei Honor 6, right now is the time to get the latter one on your phone. Once a custom recovery is up and running on your phone, rooting your phone is just as easy as flashing a simple .zip file on your phone.
Once that file gets flashed on your phone, you will have root access and SuperSU running on your phone. Here’s how you can do that:
Files You Need
- Your phone must have a custom recovery installed on it before you can root it. If you have not flashed a custom recovery on your phone yet, please do so now using our how to install a custom recovery on the Huawei Honor 6 tutorial.
- This flashes SuperSU to achieve root access on your phone.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. It will later be transferred to your phone.
Rooting the Huawei Honor 6
- Make sure that you have not extracted SuperSU. It must be in .zip format for it to be flashed through a custom recovery on your phone.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable. Your phone should be able to receive files from your computer.
- Copy SuperSU from your computer over to the internal storage on your phone. Place it on the top so you can find it easily at a later time.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Pull the battery out of your phone and then put it back in after a few seconds. Do not turn on your phone just yet.
- Hold down Volume UP and Power buttons together on your phone.
- Your phone should reboot into the custom recovery mode.
- Once you have entered the recovery mode, select the option that says install zip from sdcard.
- On the following screen select the option that says choose zip from sdcard.
- Navigate to your internal storage and find SuperSU and select it to be installed on your phone.
- Confirm the prompt in the recovery and wait for it to flash SuperSU on your phone. It should not take too long.
- When the recovery’s done flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone by choosing Reboot followed by System in the recovery menu.
- Your phone should reboot.
- Your phone should now be rooted!
You did it! Your Huawei Honor 6 is now rooted and you can confirm the same using Root Checker on your phone.
You have got both root access and a custom recovery, and that is all you need in order to customize your phone to a greater extent. The root access should let you run root-requiring apps while the custom recovery should let you run a custom ROM on your phone. Each brings with it a new functionality that helps you further customize your phone.
Flashing a custom ROM with a custom recovery is as easy as flashing SuperSU that you just did in the above tutorial. To flash a custom ROM, grab the custom ROM .zip file, place it in your phone’s storage, reboot into the recovery mode, choose the install option, and select the ROM .zip to be installed on your phone. You should be running a custom ROM on your phone in no time using this recovery method.