You can root your LG Optimus G using the Towelroot application made by developer Geohot. The Geohot developers is the same guy who created the first jailbreak on an iPhone ,and such as, he knows what he is doing with hacking. Geohot exposed one of the largest security flaws in the Android system that has ever been found to date. The same exploit Geohot used for his Towelroot app is not patched, but only if you are running a new software update.
The Towelroot app still works for any device that is running certain version of Android KitKat. It usually needs to be an Android KitKat version that was out before June of 2014. If you are running a newer version of KitKat or Lollipop, you will need to downgrade the device before this Towelroot method will rot the device.
There is no harm in trying out the Towelroot application, as it does not ever brick your device. If your device cannot be rooted using the Towelroot application, it will let you know on the display after you try.
Files You Need
- Point your browser of choice to http://towelroot.com on the LG Optimus G smartphone during the guide.
- You must be running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the Optimus G for this Towelroot guide to work. You can anytime downgrade to the stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM and then start using the guide.
- You are voiding the warranty by following this guide on your Optimus G smartphone.
Rooting the LG Optimus G running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Make sure that the Unknown Sources option is on so you can install the Towelroot application on your Optimus G device. To do that, head to the Settings > Security > Unknown Sources.
- Enter the Towelroot web address you can see in the files section above into your web browser on the Optimus G smartphone and load that website on your device.
- Tap your finger over the red lambda icon to start downloading the Towelroot application on your device.
- Tap the “OK” button from the notification on the bottom of the display.
- Tap on the “Install’ option and then the “Open” option.
- Tap the final “Make it Ra1n” button.
- Towelroot will now root your Optimus G device in a few minutes.
- You do not have to reboot the device once it’s done and it will tell you that on the display.
- You should now open up the Google Play Store and install the SuperSU application to keep your device safe.
Once you have the SuperSU installed on your device, head back to the Google Play Store and install the root checker app.