In order to gain root on the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition, all you need to do is boot your phone into a pre-rooted system image which will then inject the SU files into the phone to root it. And then, you’ll be rooted.
Once you’re rooted, you have the freedom to customize your phone the way you want. Your options will not be limited to only installing a launcher or customizing a single element on your phone, but you’ll have unlimited options to decorate your phone. A few things you could do after rooting is: remove system apps, flash a custom recovery which leads to flashing a custom ROM & kernel, and so on.
If that’s what you wish to do on your phone, here’s how you can root your phone:
Files You Need
- You must have unlocked the bootloader on your phone before doing this tutorial. Please head over to the official Motorola website to learn how you can unlock your bootloader. Once you’ve unlocked your bootloader, come back here and continue.
- You should have a computer that runs Windows in order to do this tutorial.
- You should have Motorola USB drivers installed on your computer.
- Download Root Package to your computer. It contains the boot image that will root your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you boot into the downloaded boot image on your phone.
- This tutorial only works for the Pure Edition of the phone.
Rooting the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2014)
- Right-click on both Root Package and Fastboot one by one and select Extract here to extract the compressed files.
- Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times. It should unlock developer options for you.
- Head back to Settings and tap on Developer options. Turn on the option that says USB debugging. It’s important for the tutorial to work.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open a CMD – Command Prompt Window – in the folder where Fastboot and Root Package files are located. Both of these should be in the same folder or the steps below won’t work. To open the window, hold down Shift on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the CMD window and hit Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- It should reboot your phone into bootloader mode.
- Type in the following command and press Enter:
fastboot boot pure2014sb.img
- What the above command does is boot your phone into the specified boot image which will then flash the required files to gain root access on your phone.
- When it’s done rooting, reboot your phone if it doesn’t automatically.
- You’re now rooted!
And there you go.
Your Pure Edition of the Motorola Moto X should now be rooted. You can install an app like Root Checker to verify if your phone is properly rooted.