OnePlus phones have been creating a buzz around the world, and they probably deserve it because of the quality of the Android phones they bring with them.
The newcomer in the market from OnePlus is the OnePlus X. Although it has not been a long time since the phone came into the market, the phone has gotten root access and a custom recovery to make those flashaholics happy, and give them a reason to buy this phone.
If you’re one of those users who can’t live without root-access and have an OnePlus X phone, you can follow the following guide and have your OnePlus X rooted.
So, here you go folks:
Files You Need
- A custom recovery should already be installed on your phone before you can do this tutorial. If you there’s no custom recovery on your phone, you can flash one using our how to flash a custom recovery on the OnePlus X tutorial.
- This should flash SuperSU to achieve access to the root on your phone.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. Leave it in its original format.
Rooting the OnePlus X
- Connect your OnePlus X to your computer using a suitable USB cable and ensure that your phone can receive files from your computer.
- Copy SuperSU from your computer over to the internal storage on your phone. Place the file in the root directory so that it’s easily accessible.
- When SuperSU is copied, unplug your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Reboot your phone into the custom recovery mode by holding down Volume DOWN and Power buttons at the same time.
- Your phone should now be in TWRP Recovery mode.
- There should be an option saying Install in the recovery menu. Tap on it and it should let you choose a file that can be flashed on your phone.
- Choose SuperSU file to be installed on your phone.
- Confirm the prompt by tapping Swipe to Confirm Flash.
- Wait for TWRP to install SuperSU on your phone. It should get that done in a few seconds.
- When SuperSU has been successfully installed, reboot your phone by selecting Reboot followed by System from the recovery menu.
- Your phone should reboot into the normal mode.
- You should now be rooted!
And there you go!
Your OnePlus X is now rooted and is running the latest SuperSU app to help you manage root-requiring apps on your phone.
While a custom recovery was already up on your phone, with this newly found freedom of root access you can now do tons of new things that were not possible before. For instance, you can change the entire appearance and system of your phone by flashing a custom ROM, or you can just flash a custom kernel and have your phone perform better than before.
That’s all you can do now on your phone as you have got both root access and a custom recovery on your phone. To be on the safe side, make sure you always make a backup before flashing a custom file so that you can easily get back to the stock when things are not flashed well on your phone.