Samsung is bringing out that many mobile phones lately it is ridiculous. The Captivate is one of those devices that fall into the class of did we need this? Having said that, it is unique in design, and that’s the kind of innovation we love to see. It is the kind of mobile that you can imagine appearing in the next movie that has good quality tech in it.
It’s obviously of the budget variety, however, the screen is well ahead of its time with a Super AMOLED screen that is usually standard on a flagship device. That’s about where this phone peaks out at, mainly due to its low range nature. Those two things alone, however, have me at least interested for a look.
If you were to combine that with root access, now you have a device that all of a sudden has some great appeal. The good news is that it is possible, and we’ll show you how to get it done in the manual below.
Another good thing about this particular method is that it is really simple to get done. Some of the top of the range devices are a real pain in the backside when attempting to do this kind of thing, especially if you are a novice user, and have an expert guide in front of you. This one is suitable for everybody. Having said that, don’t feel stupid if you are still struggling, because we are always here to help. Shoot us a message and wait for a reply.
Files You Need
- Enable USB Debugging mode from Settings. This handset only comes in Android 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 Gingerbread so there is no Develop Options menu. Instead, it will need to be made the old way.
- Make sure you have up to date USB Drivers installed from the official Samsung website.
- The Samsung Captivate has 16 GB of internal storage space available. Use this space to backup call logs, EFS, MMS and SMS texts, contacts and any other sensitive data you do not want to risk losing. If you have no space left there is an additional 32 GB available from microSD, microSDHC storage expansion.
- Turn off or disable any security programs that are running on the computer before starting because they can interfere with this working. Always remember to turn them back on again when finished.
- Be wary that following this will void the devices warranty if there is any existing. In most cases, there will be at least 12 month warranty in place.
- This handset comes with USB charging as a connectivity feature to there is no need to save battery charge. When plugged into the computer it will charge automatically.
How To Root The Samsung captivate:
1. Download the Super One Click root tool. This is the latest version available.
2. Disable any of the anti-virus programs that you may have running on your Android phone. Typically not a popular choice of thing to do for this one, but it is still possible to do. Antivirus is usually the one thing that is trustworthy, but ironically, it can create an annoyance and disturb this operation from being successful. Depending on what brand you have will depend on what the procedure will be. As soon as you open up the control panel it should have a disable option in the menu. As a last resort, you can always completely uninstall it and then re-install it afterwards. Once we have finished this guide it is OK to turn back on again straight away should you wish to do so.
3. Connect the Samsung Captivate to the computer with a USB cable.
4. This cable should come with the phone out of the box.
5. As an optional choice, you might want to back up your data before this next step. Once you go past here the back up option will be too late to do. It does take a few extra minutes, most of which none of us wants to give up out of laziness, but it is recommended you do so. To make things easier you can just do this from the internal memory instead of creating a whole back up to the SD card or any other option of external memory.
6. Right click on the root tool and select run as an administrator.
7. Next, click on the root button.
Anyone who has become the root user can now open the Google Play Store and start downloading the applications that require root access. There is no navigation available for you to follow, so you need to know the names of the available apps that you want to search for and install. You can find 60 of those available from our best root applications for Android list and have a read what they are and pick one from the list.
Please share this article: