Root-access has been achieved on the Samsung Galax J7, all thanks to TWRP for making its custom recovery available for the device. In order to root your phone, all you need to do is flash SuperSU and you should be all set.
Once rooted, you’ll be able to remove system apps from your phone, install new root-requiring apps, flash a custom ROM, and many more things. Here’s how to root your Galaxy J7:
Related Reading: What you must do after rooting the Samsung Galaxy J7 smartphone
Files You Need
- Your phone must have a custom recovery before you can do this tutorial. Please head to our how to install TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy J7 tutorial to learn how you can flash a custom recovery on your phone.
- This will use the custom recovery installed on your phone to achieve access to root.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. Do NOT extract it, leave it as is. This is what you’re going to flash using TWRP on your phone in order to gain root-access.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy J7
- Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable. Make sure your phone is able to receive files from your computer.
- Copy SuperSU from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your phone.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery mode. To do so, hold down Volume UP, Home, and Power buttons at the same time.
- Your phone should reboot into TWRP Recovery mode.
- Tap on Install in the recovery menu.
- Select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your phone.
- Tap on Swipe to Confirm Flash to allow TWRP to flash the SuperSU package on your phone.
- Wait for TWRP Recovery to install SuperSU on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing, reboot your phone by selecting Reboot followed by System in the recovery menu.
- Your phone should reboot.
- You’re done!
And your Samsung Galaxy J7 is now rooted.
Root brings many opportunities for you to customize your phone, and the best way to get started with it is to install root-requiring apps. And then you can slowly move forward from there to installing custom ROMs and maybe flashing a custom kernel to overclock your phone.
You might also want to check out how to root the Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone.