If you are sick of using the same interface and system on your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 for years, then you should probably root your device to get some cool and new stuff running on it. What root allows you to do is flash a custom recovery on your phone which then lets you flash a custom ROM.
A custom ROM is just a customized version of the Android OS for your phone. It brings with it some really nice features – such as a customized user-interface and some apps that you can use to customize your phone beyond the normal limit.
There’s a lot you can do when you have root-access on your phone. So, here’s how you can go about rooting your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 and getting some cool things running on it:
The Files You Need
- Backup anything that is important for you before doing this tutorial, just in case.
- You must have a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial. The reason is the tool that you are going to use for flashing root files is only available for Windows.
- Make sure that your computer has Samsung USB drivers installed on it. If it does not, install those first before going ahead.
- Download Odin to your computer. It is the tool that you will use to flash root package on your phone.
- Download Root Package to your computer. It is the package that will be flashed on your phone.
- You should only try this on a GT-I9152 device.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8
- First of all, unzip files from Odin over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here. This will make the files available for you to use.
- When the archive is extracted, double-click on Odin executable and it will launch.
- When the Odin launches, the first thing you need to do is uncheck the Repartition option. So, do so now.
- Click on PDA in the Odin and navigate to the folder where you have saved Root Package and select it to be flashed on your phone.
- You can checkmark the options that say Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in the Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into download mode so that Odin recognizes it. To do so, hold down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together on your phone.
- You will see a warning message on your phone. Press Volume UP to move forward.
- Your phone should now be in download mode.
- Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- One of the boxes in Odin should turn yellow indicating the tool has detected your phone.
- Click on Start in the Odin and wait for it to flash root package on your phone.
- It should take a couple of minutes to flash root package on your phone.
- When Odin’s done flashing root package, your phone will automatically reboot.
- You are done!
Root access has been successfully achieved on your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 with model number GT-I9152.
Now that you are rooted, head to our how to flash a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 tutorial to learn how you can install a custom recovery on your phone.