These are the instructions to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual SIM smartphone running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Anyone who has not rooted the Galaxy S4 Mini device before today will be getting the bootloader unlocked by the CF-Auto-Root tool. You must backup your data or else that data will not be restored later. Unlocking the bootloader during this guide does wipe your data clean.
Files You Need
- Download the updated CF-Auto-Root package for the Dual SIM S4 Mini from this page.
- Download the universal AB Driver to your computer and run the same before you start the guide.
- Download the Odin flash tool version 1.85 from this page. Try a newer version if that 1.85 does not root your Samsung device after you have completed the guide.
- The following guide to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini device is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and build number KOT49H.I9192UBUCNK1 firmware. That same KOT49H.I9192UBUCNK1 firmware build number will be only for a few regions and not all regions. You do not need to flash that same UBUCNK1 firmware on your device to use this guide. It’s to be used as an indicator only, since some Samsung devices do not boot older images.
- Firmware updates that roll out to the GT-I9192 smartphone a while after the KOT49H.I9192UBUCNK1 firmware could come with a new bootloader. When that happens, the CF-Auto-Root can not flash or not boot the device. You can report those problems to the official Chainfire thread over at XDA Developers here: official CF-Auto-Root thread.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual SIM GT-I9192 running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Install the universal ADB Driver on your computer running Windows.
- Enable the Developer Options menu on your Dial SIM S4 Mini smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Tap the build number at least seven times and it will unlock the Developer Options menu.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode so you can connect your Dual SIM S4 Mini to the computer with the USB cable by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Now you are ready to start the guide; turn off the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini device by long-pressing the Power key.
- Boot the device up in download mode so you can connect it to the computer by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home + Power keys together and do not let go.
- continue holding the Home + Power + Volume Down until it says to press the Volume Up key.
- Release the three keys and just press the Volume Up key by itself and your Samsung smartphone will now be in the download mode and ready to connect to the computer.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 Mini to the PC using the USB cable you normally use to charge the device’s battery.
- Look for the ID: COM port to change colors; that’s letting you know the ADB Driver is working. Reboot the computer and try again if you cannot get your driver to work. Alternatively, you can download the Samsung USB Drivers from the Samsung website.
- Click the PDA button from the Odin user-interface and upload your tar.md5 file for the S4 Mini device that should be on your desktop — you extracted it earlier.
- Do not change the default settings from your Odin 1.85 user-interface.
- Click the Start button and wait for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini device to get rooted.
You will see a pass message from the Odin app display on your computer and your S4 Mini Dual SIM should automatically reboot into recovery mode; reboot the device manually into recovery mode if that does not happen. Recovery mode is as follows: start with the device off and boot it by holding the Volume Up + Home + Power keys.